The Burrito Wars

Chris O’Connor

Contributing Writer

The #burritowars have reached fever pitch. Forget the American offerings of your J1 summers like Chipotle and those tiny burrito shacks in San Diego, there is more of a selection available than ever as to which tasty, tasty burrito bar to hit up for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Yes, we said breakfast. The selection has been the topic of hot debate over the last few months and we think that it’s time to settle this debate once and for all, with a review of each burrito bar to see which one will come out on top!

Boojum Dublin (@Boojum_Dublin)

Affectionately known as “The Booj” these guys never let you down. On a marking system based on size, taste, friendliness of staff and value they come up trumps in every category. The downfall from their perspective is their proximity to Trinity but if you have a bit of time on your hands and are looking for the tastiest burrito in town, Boojum, situated in Dublin’s Italian quarter have set the bar since the #burritowars first began! On the merit of providing a huge burrito with the finest meat, salsa and guacamole Boojum are the old reliable and firm favorite of any die-hard burrito fan. As the pioneers of the Dublin burrito scene, Boojum set the standard high and the length of the queues out the door at lunch time any day of the week is a testament to this. The layout of the shop means that you can see them making your burrito and make those tough calls on ingredients before your eyes as well as seeing the staff execute the roll to perfection. Watch this space as Boojum have answered our prayers and are hoping to open their second Dublin shop on Harcourt Street in the coming months. If this shop stays open til 5am they could rival Coppers for the most profitable business on Dublin’s busiest street for nightlife and Galway’s supermacs for a late night shift after some burrito bonding.

Top of the pile, pure class. Manchester United.

Tolteca (@ToltecaIreland)

Tolteca first opened their doors on Baggot Street in late 2011. They were slow starters in the burrito wars but after solving their teething problems of dry rice issues and cold wraps they have stormed up the ranks to the point of challenging the Booj for top spot! The meat is always deliciously cooked, the guac is sublime and you can choose brown rice if you’re on a diet… although lets face it… diets always go out the window when it comes to a burrito. Having recently opened their second store on Suffolk street they seem to have their eyes on the prize for 2013. Spotted last week handing out €5 burrito flyers outside the arts block it’s like they were giving out discounts for crack. Just finished my 3rd tasty Tolteca burrito of the week.

Title challengers. Chelsea FC. 

Tuzo (@tuzo_mex)

These guys on Dawson Street are the real dark-horses to emerge in recent months. Having not given them a second glance for the first few weeks we heard through the grapevine that they had a burrito on offer to compete with the best. We had to check this out for ourselves and we were not disappointed. Tuzo certainly compete on size but we have to say that the salsa lacks the kick that is needed to make top spot. The pork is cooked perfectly to make it oh-so-tender and delicious. However a bad experience with dry beef last week has left us wanting more of these guys. The burrito wars are ever competitive and you can’t afford to drop the ball at any point with six other tasty Mexican establishments waiting to pounce on mistakes!

Well able to compete with the best. Top three. Tottenham Hotspur.

Pablo Picante (@PabloPicanteIRL)

Pablo P’s are a firm favorite of a large demographic of the Trinity student body after launching their reputation in style with the SU Deal of the Week two years ago. As a previous winner of the entertainment.ie ‘golden burrito’ awards it’s impossible to write these guys off. They know what they’re up to and have the menu to prove it. It has to be said that Pablos are consistently tasty and satisfying. In the battle of size however they fall into joint 3rd place in our rankings, lacking the girth to satisfy the intense burrito hunger pains. I can’t say that I would ever turn down a Pablos but they wouldn’t be top of the list if I was willing to travel. Sonny San Diego and Senór Slim Delgado are tasty and they also offer a delicious cremosa for free to add to the experience. These guys are up there with the best.

Tasty, consistent, loyal fan base in a city of derbies. Manchester City.

Mamas Revenge (@mamasrevenge1)

Mamas revenge rose to dizzying heights almost instantly after opening during a hungry time for the burrito wars. Mamas was heavily populated during the build up to exams last year, enjoying an initial enthusiastic reaction from Trinity students. They have since lost their major foothold in the trinity-proximity burrito wars with three new burrito establishments opening within closer walking distance although they still have the benefit of being the closest to the Hamilton burrito fanatics. The recent UT Facebook poll saw them placed last which is harsh considering these guys are mid-table formidables but lack the quality and finishing to compete at the top. Mamas major issue is that the burrito tends to be cold by the time you come to eating it as they heat them using a press after filling it. In terms of originality however, these Mexican magicians are the only ones to offer a “surf and turf” burrito with prawns and steak, always worth a punt when you’re on the hunt!

Great season last year but struggling with the heat. Mid-table battlers. Newcastle.

Little Ass Burrito Bar (@littleassbb)

Little Ass had prime real-estate in Rathmines close to Trinity Halls to get people hooked. They have since moved to the top of Dawson Street to take on the big hitters of the burrito market in the city centre. Little Ass have quality, there’s no denying that and they have a menu that has everything you could want but unfortunately in this game, size does matter and Little Ass do exactly what it says on the tin. Original selection of salsa with zesty, mango and smokey means that this is a burrito experience you won’t soon forget.

Plenty of quality but lacking in depth. European hopefuls. Arsenal. 

Burritos & Blues (@Burritosblues)

B&B’s are a household name, the original burrito name of Dublin. Certainly a solid establishment but have gained a reputation as the fastest food burrito which is never a good sign, considering we are all in denial of the health benefits of a burrito! They offer a bit of variety on their menu enabling the insatiable burrito eater the option of sweet potato fries and word on the street is that their nachos are top of the pile. In terms of the burrito wars however, they have fallen behind in a saturated market to the burrito kings Boojum and Tolteca. Late night opening means that B&B’s have the midnight muncher in the palm of their hand.

Had their glory days but struggle to compete consistently at the top. Liverpool.

One would be forgiven for thinking that the burrito wars are a bubble waiting to burst. Just like the property bubble we have to ask, is there enough of an appetite out there? There has been an insane expansion in the burrito market over the last 4 years and this year could see all of the big hitters coming to a head. Walking past Abrakebabra today I noticed that they are now offering a “delicious burrito”… Laying it down now that they should pack in their challenge and focus on the kebabs, leave the Mexicans to what they do best – don’t be sullying the name of the burrito. This contest is as hot as the spiciest salsa and can only get hotter as the burrito bug continues to bite. Is it possible to be addicted to burritos? You know you have a problem when start having to justify each lunchtime burrito by quoting the health benefits. Next up we will be taking on a 7 Days, 7 Burritos review of each establishment, hoping to sample as much as we can to give a more in depth analysis. Until then though, go large & keep it spicy.