Trinity Singers to host revival of Choral Intervarsities

Una Kelly | Online News Editor

Trinity Singers will host the revival of the Choral Intervarsities Festival on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th February. The event will see students from third level institutions around the country coming to Trinity to compete in various categories.

The Intervarsities had previously existed up until 2007, and when society member Sinead Rodger approached the Singers committee last spring with the idea of adding a new event to the calendar for college choirs, the decision was taken to revive the tradition for 2013. “Our organization began in spring 2012 and the committee have put in an incredible amount of work for the planning of this event since then,” said Raeghnya Zutshi, chairperson of the society. “We’d like to thank Trinity Association and Trust as their contribution is making this event possible. There are many smaller jobs involved with the basic runnings, but we’re down to final preparations and are all ready for the weekend ahead.”

As well as the competitions, which are open to students and the public to attend, there will be a series of workshops, which are open to all students from Trinity and other institutions. Workshops on offer will include Gospel Music, Conducting, Vocal Percussion, Rounds and Canons and the creation of a ‘Festival Choir’, where all participants will join together to perform as one.

Entry to the event as well as access to all the competitions and workshops is free for society members, while tickets for all other students will be available on the day for €3.

“The main goal in mind is for this tradition to continue as an annual event for all third level institutions,” Raeghnya told TheUniversity Times. “We have big choral events that take place during the year, competitions such as the Cork Choral Festival and the Feis Ceol Competitions that attract many choirs locally and from abroad. With these in mind, we would love to achieve a similar high quality of singing and learning that students can take away from such an event.”