LaunchBox finish up 12-week incubator programme

A summer programme for Dublin start-ups based in Trinity finishes up this week

LaunchBox, a three month accelerator programme for Trinity entrepreneurs funded by the ‘Trinity Angels’, hosted their finale event on Thursday evening in Regent House with presentations from each team.

The incubator pilot programme began on the 4th of June and accepted applicants from students of all faculties and departments in Trinity College. Five projects were selected to take part by the ‘Trinity Angels’, a group of eight Trinity alumni that have become successful as entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, investors and various other areas in the business world. Seán Blanchfleld, co-founder and former-Chief Technology Officer of DemonWare, was among the eight ‘Angels’.

The projects were soon joined by AdMe, an application for students who want to share their passions through societies.

Speaking at the finale event, Dean of Research Professor Vinny Cahill commended the progress that each project has made over the twelve weeks. The Research Department will continue to provide Trinity students the opportunity to develop their entrepreneurial skills as Cahill was confident that Trinity students “have some great ideas”.

Project manager for BiteLock, Brian Higgins, told The University Times that “LaunchBox gave us the actual push to bring the concept to the product. Without LaunchBox, BITE could still be back as an idea and a drawing.

“I think initiatives to encourage entrepreneurialism are pretty beneficial. John and I never wanted to be entrepreneurs per se, but LaunchBox just encouraged us to go for it on an idea we thought could be really successful. I can only imagine there are more people like us, with really big ideas in Trinity. If college can do something to to nudge them in the right direction, then I’ve no doubt they’ll produce some great things. They learn a lot more about the real world than we do when immersed in academia.”

Many of the projects are now looking for funding to continue developing their products and services. BITE are looking for €20,000 in funding, whereas many of the projects will be launching their products to the market shortly.

Food Cloud has been accepted into another incubator programme called LaunchPad that will run into December.

“Following the success we’ve had with Tesco, we’re hoping to expand outside Dublin and set up in other towns and cities,” said Iseult Ward, project manager for Food Cloud.