Getting Involved in Week One

Anna Harrington explores some ways to get back into the swing of society life in Week One

Following an insanely busy Freshers’ Week with many active and exciting clubs and societies out in full force, the only thing for us all to do next is actually get involved with them. After running energetic weeks of events, many larger societies seem to be laying low this week, gearing up for the next big thing. But this is a great week to get properly involved, with smaller groups attending events and many a low-key pub night. We have done a round-up of three interesting things to do this week to ease yourself back into college life, or as the case may be, begin your college career with some weird new hobbies.

1. Scuba Dive

One of the strangest and best things you can do in college is learn how to scuba dive, so that when you happen to be in Southeast Asia next you can make the most of underwater exploration. The only thing you need to get is Wetsuits for Scuba Diving beforehand. It also sounds cool. Although joining Trinity’s Sub-Aqua Club seems expensive at €180 for students, it is actually a bargain in the diving world. To get a license, rent gear, and other associated costs would usually set you back around €2,000 or so. If you’re not quite convinced or ready to commit this year (or ever), the club’s ‘Try Dive’ is on Monday evening in the pool at 8pm, and costs a slightly more reasonable €5. If anything it is an opportunity to wear scuba diving equipment in the Trinity pool. I know I’ll be there.

Scuba

2. Do Charity

Definitely one of Trinity’s most active and impressive societies, Vincent De Paul runs multiple different events each week, is free to join, and very receptive to new members. The annual introductory evening is taking place this Wednesday at 7pm in the Ed Burke Theatre. New members are invited to come along and find out about different opportunities to volunteer, learn about Garda vetting, and generally see how to get involved with the society. Vetting drives are taking place on Thursday and Friday.

VDP

3. Robert Emmet Pub-Crawl

Undoubtedly due to the influence of Doctor Patrick Geoghegan, Trinity’s eccentric Senior Lecturer and History Professor’s enthusiasm for Robert Emmet, this is not the History Society’s first Emmet-centered event nor will it be the last. This is actually a history-themed pub crawl starting with an address by Dr. Geoghegan himself, and should be an especially good opportunity for new history students to meet others and start schmoozing with the Department. Meet at Front Arch at 7pm on Tuesday.

emmet