Promising start for SoFIA

Rosalind Ní Shúilleabháin takes a look at Trinity's new diplomacy-based society

Rosalind Ní Shúilleabháin | Contributing Writer

Earlier this year, the Central Societies Committee (CSC) recognised a new, diplomacy-based group, the Society for International Affairs, better known as SoFIA. A young but highly ambitious society, SoFIA are already in full swing with a solid line up of events every Tuesday evening of term.

This week, they joined forces with DU Germanic Society to co-host His Excellency Beat Loeliger, the Swiss Ambassador, who addressed students on the topic of ‘direct democracy’ in the brand new Global Room. To the dramatic backdrop of a wall-sized television featuring images of Swiss flags waving in the breeze, the Ambassador gave an engaging and interactive talk on the unique system of direct democracy present in Switzerland. His Excellency Loeliger displayed immense pride in the sense of Swiss independence garnered from remaining outside the EU. He acknowledged the advantages of the free market, but warned us that it was ‘no free lunch.’

A young but highly ambitious society, SoFIA are already in full swing with a solid line up of events, every Tuesday evening of term.

Last week, SoFIA received the First Secretary to the French Embassy in Ireland, Mme Marianne Ziss, in conjunction with the French Society. Mme Ziss addressed a room of enthusiastic future Third Secretary applicants on her own experience in the diplomatic service. Honest and entertaining, she talked of the strain that her career can put on family life, as well as assuring the audience that diplomacy wasn’t all ‘functions and Ferrero Rocher.’

SoFIA’s events succeed in breaking down somewhat ‘heavy’ material and presenting it in a non-academic and accessible manner. A down side to the nature of the society is that speakers have to tread the official Embassy line. and thus cannot comment on anything too controversial. This didn’t prove problematic, as the audience Q&A at this week’s Swiss Ambassador event largely remained lacklustre – a sombre crowd, I was greeted with multiple over-the-shoulder ‘filthies’ for moving my arm and causing a wristful of bangles to jingle during His Excellency’s address.

1374794_379229042180142_768757382_n

The committee, however, remained true to their student roots; the gentle glugging of pouring wine provided a backdrop to the Q&A portion of the talk, a tease preview of the reception to follow. The promising sound of corks popping did not disappoint – on offer was a superior wine to the usual screw top vinegary staples of society events.

SoFIA may be a fledgling society, but with a fresh angle on international affairs and a considerable schedule of events in place, it’s well worth dropping by one of their events this year.

At the reception, I caught up with Co-Founder and Vice Chairperson, Michael Scholz, who updated me on their full itinerary of events. They’re currently ‘’jumping through hoops’’ to facilitate the extensive security requirements for an upcoming visit from the Israeli Ambassador. Next Tuesday, 15th October, for CSC’s Fourth Week, Second Secretary to the Japanese Embassy Mr Yuichi Yamada will be addressing SoFIA on the topic of Japanese foreign affairs, with a sushi-based reception to follow. Also in the works this semester is an address on the contentious topic of Gibraltar from the Deputy Head of Missions of the Spanish Embassy, and a visit from the Greek Ambassador. There are whispers of a top secret high profile guest and the possibility of a Model United Nations in the New Year.

With a plethora of societies on campus an often overwhelming selection of events are on offer. SoFIA may be a fledgling society, but with a fresh angle on international affairs and a considerable schedule of events in place, it’s well worth dropping by one of their events this year.

Photo credits: Emma Shalvey and Stephen Burke