To impeach or not to impeach? PART II

Paul McNamee argues against the impeachment of TCDSU President Tom Lenihan

Paul McNamee | Contributing Writer

To see the counter argument check https://universitytimes.ie/?p=20054

It is fair to say that Tom Lenihan has not had an easy time of it since taking office as TCDSU President. The Law and Business student, who suffers from a number of mental illnesses including depression, schizophrenia and panic attacks, has been subject to what can only be described as a brutal witch hunt after he cheated in an exam last May. While Eoin Silke, a former Labour Party member, is the face of this campaign, the reality is shady forces outside the college have had a big influence on the debate. Such faceless characters have landed blow after blow on the Union President in a malicious campaign to destroy him.

Much of the vitriol against Tom came in the wake of his statement on the incident, in which he clearly stated that he was not using his mental health as an excuse for his actions. He also stated in no uncertain terms that what he did was “wholly wrong and unacceptable”. Despite the clarity of this statement, the anonymous keyboard warriors took to the UT website to argue he had somehow tried to hide behind his mental illness. Such comments clearly come from people who either didn’t bother to read the statement or who have problems with basic English, for Tom made it explicitly clear that he takes full responsibility for his actions. His case does not give an incentive for others with mental illness to cheat. After all, the most such cheaters can get in an exam is 40% and remember they still have to actually pass the repeat. It therefore, would simply not be worth taking the risk. Conversely, if Tom is successfully impeached, it will send out a clear message to those with mental illness that we don’t trust them to hold a sabbatical office. Do we want to encourage this sort of backward discrimination in Trinity?

It has also been claimed that Tom’s ability to represent students with authority when they come before a disciplinary board in college will be compromised as a result of this one mistake.  The student politicians making such claims have clearly been blinded by their own self-interest to such an extent that they can no longer read the Union Constitution. Here, it is plainly stated that the education officer, not the President, has responsibility for representing students on such panels. Lenihan has no role whatsoever in disciplinary proceedings. It is therefore a bit odd, perhaps even a little embarrassing, that the witch hunt has placed this argument as the key reason as to why he should be impeached. (See their Impeach Tom Lenihan Facebook page)

You might be forgiven for thinking that as Tom holds a student position, not a national position, such claims would be the worst he would have to deal with. Unfortunately however, as a Lenihan, Tom was to face much worse. The murky forces from outside of Trinity have conjured up an incredibly distasteful conspiracy theory which tries to argue that he somehow got off lightly because his father was the late Brian Lenihan. Anyone with even the slightest hint of compassion would of course treat such verbal diarrhoea with utter contempt. How on earth could Brian Lenihan influence the Junior Dean’s office if he is dead? You may then argue Lenihan has other connections in Fianna Fail. However, would the party really want to help out an individual who has consistently criticised them in the media? Don’t you think FF would like to see the back of such high profile and indeed, embarrassing, opposition?

The claim that the Lenihan family name has somehow helped Tom is further discredited when you take a look at the coverage of this story in the national media. Every major media outlet in the country reported that Tom Lenihan cheated. It goes without saying that the media would not have taken such an interest had the person in question not been a Lenihan. Trinity do not need to put a black mark beside his degree, the media have already done that for them. This one mistake which he made, as a student, will be a permanent blight on his career prospects. How many of us have made mistakes during our college careers that we can now thankfully consign to history? As a Lenihan, Tom does not have that luxury.

Tom has made a mistake and has taken full responsibility for that mistake. He never once sought to use the fact he was the incumbent Union President to get his punishment reduced nor did he try to hide behind his mental illnesses. As Trinity students we now have to look out for one of our own.  Let’s stand up to the online bullies. Let’s give the boot to student politicians who only care about their inflated egos.  Let’s say no to the mob wanting us to destroy a young student’s career. Say no to impeachment and let Tom get on with the job of representing and protecting the interests of all Trinity students.