Trinity College Students’ Union to Push for Seanad Reform

TCDSU President Tom Lenihan has urged students to "make your voice heard"

Last week, Trinity students voted to support the retention and reform of the Seanad in a Students’ Union referendum, with the ‘Yes’ side receiving 1,342 votes out of 1,991. Following the rejection of the government’s proposed abolition in Friday’s polls, Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU) is now obligated to campaign for reform of the upper house.

According to JS student Fiachra O’Raghallaigh, who called for the referendum, there are a number of routes TCDSU can follow in order to realise reform. Speaking to The University Times, O’Raghallaigh advocated “moral support” from the SU for Seanad reform, stating that the Union “can directly support [the] USI’s [Union of Students in Ireland] efforts in lobbying the government for broader political reform”. He also stated that students can get involved individually by lobbying their TDs.

Tom Lenihan, President of TCDSU, expressed his personal satisfaction with the referendum result. According to Lenihan, students are interested in overall systemic political improvement, with the support for Seanad reform a decisive sign in this direction.

TCDSU has begun to engage with the USI concerning the proposed campaign, and Lenihan has advocated a “public forum for students” to discuss which avenues reform should take. He proposed that a working group on Seanad reform should be created at the next meeting of the National Council, petitioning interested students to be sure to “make your voice heard”.

Proposed changes to the Seanad have been aired in the Quinn-Zappone Bill, a piece of legislation that is currently being put before the upper house and would not require a constitutional amendment to pass, meaning it could be in place by Christmas.

These reforms include democratising the Seanad, which would allow Irish citizens the power to elect Senators of their choosing. A reformed Seanad would also have an equal male-female Senator ratio, as well as increased powers of scrutiny, allowing them more power over European legislation and the holding of inquiries into public affairs.