USI Responds to Reports of Likely Grant Cuts as Budget Draws Nearer

Rumours abound of up to 5% cuts to third-level funding in next week's budget, including a hit to the student maintenance grant.

Following an article published in The Sunday Independent stating the high likelihood that further cuts to the student maintenance grant will be announced in next week’s budget, President of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), Joe O’Connor, has stressed the Union’s “absolute” determination to “deliver on [their] pre-budget commitment”. Speaking to The University Times, O’Connor also corroborated statements that cuts to education “will not be in excess of 100 million”.

Asked what the Union’s reaction will be if the grant is cut, O’Connor stated:

“We will respond and react appropriately…the National Council has already been presented with a range of different options.”

On whether this will take the form of a more militant demonstration than that which occurred on October 1, O’Connor insisted: “Nothing concrete has been planned as of yet.” Thus far it is known that the National Council will meet at 10am on Wednesday 16, and the discussion will be led by Tuesday’s budget announcement.

The Independent’s reports followed last week’s statement by O’Connor that a meeting with Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn, while failing to elicit any “firm commitment” to protect the grant, had nevertheless been positive as government ministers were shown to be sympathetic to the plight of students.

“The feeling we got is that the cuts will not be in excess of 100 million,” O’Connor announced. “That being said, everything they cut [this year] was looked at last year and for political and social reasons it was decided not to. As to the overall budget adjustment, there has been no final figure. There has not been a huge amount of clarity.”

This has stemmed in part from difficulties experienced within the Department of Health, with Minister James Reilly expected to need a “budget-day bailout” of up to €400 million.

“We are positive that the campaign has gotten the message across,” O’Connor continued. “There are many variables between now and budget day which could affect the outcome. Right now we are focused on protecting our members.”

It has already been confirmed that funding for the third-level sector will be “severely hit” in Budget 2014, with cuts reaching as high as 5%.

The USI is hosting a pre-budget briefing for TDs at Buswells Hotel, Molesworth St this Wednesday at 11:30am. The event will be attended by TDs from across the country and O’Connor will call on them to protect vulnerable students in the budget.

Photo Credits: Benedict Shegog