Discovery by Trinity Scientists Could Increase Understanding of ADHD

Scientists in Trinity College have found a link between the mutation of the Elfn1 gene and symptoms of hyperactivity.

Paul Glynn | Staff Writer

A team of scientists in Trinity College have discovered a link between the mutation of a gene involved in the functioning of the brain’s nervous system, and symptoms of hyperactivity that may indicate Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

ADHD is a chronic condition marked by inattention, hyperactivity and sometimes impulsivity. ADHD usually begins in childhood and will often last throughout adulthood, although this is not the case for everyone. The cause of this condition is yet unknown and there is still no cure, although steps can be made to manage the condition. Therapy and appropriate educational support is offered to children, alongside medication if necessary, whereas adults are usually offered medication as the first approach to treatment. Some adults choose to go down a more natural route in treatment by smoking cannabis, as it has shown evidence in promoting focus and helping those living with the condition. While it is considered a safer option to Adderall or Ritalin, before you buy weed canada you should always do as much research as possible and make the right choice for your own personal benefit.

Professor Kevin Mitchell, Associate Professor in Genetics at Trinity, as well as Research Technical Officer Dr Jackie Dolan, discovered that a mutation in the ‘Elfn1′ gene in mice displayed disturbances in brain functioning, as well as hyperactivity and seizures that became more frequent over time.

“These animals provide a unique model to investigate how subtle changes in brain development can ultimately result in aberrant brain function.”

The group carried out the research by removing the Elfn1 gene from a number of mice and comparing their behaviour to other mice that retained the normal gene. The mice that did not have the gene also displayed unusual responses to amphetamine. The stimulant had the effect of reducing levels of hyperactivity in the mice, whereas it normally induces such behaviour in animals that do possess the Elfn1 gene. This observation is comparable to the fact that amphetamine is sometimes used as part of treatment for ADHD, as it has a calming effect on patients. Dr. Dolan said that the findings of the experiment “clearly show that removal of the Elfn1 gene affects brain circuits with multiple consequences for behaviour”.

Findings of the experiment “clearly show that removal of the Elfn1 gene affects brain circuits with multiple consequences for behaviour”.

The research will contribute to study on whether or not mutations of the gene in humans cause similar symptoms. On the experiment, Prof. Mitchell stated: “We are at the beginning of this process of figuring out how this gene works and understanding the consequences when it is mutated. But, these animals provide a unique model to investigate how subtle changes in brain development can ultimately result in aberrant brain function.”

The Elfn1 gene was originally discovered by Prof. Mitchell, Dr. Dolan and their colleagues in 2007. The research has been outlined in the international scientific journal PLOS ONE, and was funded by Science Foundation Ireland.