Trinity to Launch New Student Facility, the Global Room

Trinity's new student facility, the Global Room, is part of the college's strategy of developing international relations.

Catherine O’Callaghan | Contributing Writer

Trinity Global Room is to be launched on campus tomorrow in an exciting new endeavour to enhance College’s international potential. The innovative new room aims to enable students to fully interact with the rich variety of international opportunities the college has to offer. Trinity’s Vice President for Global Relations, Professor Jane Ohlmeyer, will launch the global hub on Wednesday 6th November at 4.30pm. The room is located in the Biotechnology Building and is open to all Trinity students, faculty and staff.

The facility features a wall of plasma screens connected to wireless headsets with access to over three hundred international television stations, a resource library with international reading materials and information on study abroad opportunities, a tea and coffee station, state of the art conference facilities and seminar facilities for internationally-themed events. It will be a social and event space that aims to foster inter-cultural understanding and international engagement among both staff and students.

It is hoped that the Global Room will reflect Trinity’s multi-cultural campus and encourage students to develop a global vision by ensuring that the support and facilities to do so are available on campus. The space will be staffed by a team of international student ambassadors who will help fellow and prospective students identify and connect with Trinity’s global network.

The creation of the Global Room reflects the University’s dedication to developing new global relations and improving its international reach, goals that are at the core of Trinity’s Global Relations strategy. The strategy, launched in September 2012, envisages establishing Trinity at the leading edge of higher education in the world by building international reach and strengthening Trinity’s position as a global university with an international profile of students, staff and research collaborations.