USI Launches National Campaign to Get Irish Students Talking about Mental Health

"Chats for Change" will encourage students to "start the conversation" about mental health.

Charlotte Ryan | Contributing Writer

“Chats for Change”, a national campaign designed to get Irish students discussing mental health, was yesterday launched by the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) at 11am in the National College of Ireland. The initiative was put in motion with the help of former rugby star Alan Quinlan, an advocate for mental health.

USI Vice President for Welfare, Denise McCarthy said: “Mental Health is part of all of our stories and we want to encourage people to start the conversation and take the time to talk to friends, classmates or family about mental health.”

“Mental Health is part of all of our stories and we want to encourage people to start the conversation.”

In an effort to promote discussion among students regarding their mental health, special “Chats for Change” packs have been produced in partnership with Lyons Tea, St Patrick’s Mental Health Services and See Change. Due to be distributed in college campuses nationwide, the packs contain two teabags to be shared with someone and a cleverly designed banner pen with useful contacts for support services and advice on how to incite chat about mental health.

Lyons Brand Manager, Liz Finlay stated: “Here at Lyons Tea, it’s all about putting the talk into tea and that is why we are fully supportive of ‘Chats for Change’. So enjoy a cuppa on us and get talking.”

“We’re delighted to be on hand to give mental health advice to students at various colleges throughout the country this week.”

To emphasise their mission, the USI will also launch a “More Talk, More Action” Campus Tour across college campuses in the country to encourage students to take their well-being into greater consideration. This tour will provide interactive and educational information stands and expert advice given by Grow, Headstrong, Turn2Me, Mental Health Reform, PleaseTalk.org, Mental Health Ireland, See Change and Reachout. Courtesy of St Patrick’s Mental Health Services, one to one consultations will also be made available to students in need.

Sarah Surgenor, St Patrick’s Mental Health Services’ Communication Manger said: “’Chats for Change’ encourages students to begin this conversation and we’re delighted to be on hand to give mental health advice to students at various colleges throughout the country this week.”

The tours will be held on Nov 11, 12, 13 and 14 in NCI Dublin, Cork IT, NUI Maynooth and Athlone IT respectively.