Trinity Symposium on the Impact of Oversized Financial Sectors

The symposium will take place on December 17th in the Long Room Hub.

Aisling Curtis | Staff Writer

Leading international experts are due to gather this Tuesday at a symposium in Trinity College, Dublin, to discuss the impact of oversized financial sectors on fertility rates, manufacturing output and consumer credit behaviour.

The Financialisation of Society symposium is being hosted by Trinity College’s Institute for International Integration Studies and aims to bring together leading authorities from a mixture of disciplinary domains. It will take place in the Long Room Hub in the Arts and Humanities Research Institute at 2.30pm on December 17.

There have been concerns aired about the possible “negative impact on economic growth”.

The symposium will explore the role of large financial sectors in global income inequality and instability, focusing on recent evidence that excessive growth in the financial sector can have a negative impact on economic development. Five renowned international authorities will speak at the symposium, including Professor Julie Froud of Manchester Business School, Professor Susan Christopherson of Cornell University, Professor Herman Schwartz from the University of Virginia, Dr Paul Langley of Durham University, and Professor Hans-Jürgen Bieling from Karls University of Tubingen.

Dr Louis Brennan, Director of Trinity’s Institute for International Integration Studies, stated that the symposium is of significance due to “the role the financial sector has played in Ireland’s recent history”. He added that though the growth of the financial sector has been seen by some as “a source of economic growth and dynamism” there have been concerns aired about the possible “negative impact on economic growth”. The symposium seeks to explore these conceivable effects.

The symposium will conclude with a reception to celebrate the publication of the Institute for International Integration Studies’ 10th Anniversary Volume: “Enacting Globalisation: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on International Integration”. The guest speaker will be Francis Jacobs, Head of Office at the European Parliament Information Office in Ireland.

The Institution for International Integration Studies in Trinity  aims to become a leading international centre for national, European and global research efforts on challenging issues.  It is dedicated to advancing and disseminating research and studying the myriad dimensions of global and regional integration.