Interview: Sorcha O’Raghallaigh

Rachel Lavin talks to the Irish couture sensation about moving to London, Lady Gaga, and how religion inspires her

Not many young Irish people today look to the Catholic Church as a source of artistic inspiration but Offaly native Sorcha O’Raghallaigh has made a fashion career out of it. Hailing from Birr, the Irish fashion designer has risen to the top of London’s fashion industry in a just few short years, dressing icons such as Lady Gaga and Kate Moss, with catholic religious iconography forming the basis for her couture collections. Beyoncé is probably the most recent big name to appear in one of O’Raghallaigh’s dresses, which can be seen in the preview for her new video “Mine”.

1503844_383770215091322_164708856_n

After studying art in Limerick, O’Raghallaigh relocated to London to pursue fashion: “I moved to London almost eight years ago and my choice to stay here is because I love living in this city!’ She denies however that Ireland lacks a viable fashion industry for up and coming designers. ‘We are in a powerful age where the Internet dominates so location is not as important as it once was. I think as long as you work hard and put yourself and your work out there you can accomplish anything regardless of where you are based.”

I think as long as you work hard and put yourself and your work out there you can accomplish anything regardless of where you are based

O’Raghallaigh undertook a degree in London’s prestigious fashion school Central Saint Martins, where she burst onto the scene in the graduate show, with her models walking the runway in stilts, draped in layers of ruffled knitwear, crochet and lace. In 2012, she was snapped up by Selfridges Bright Young Things, an initiative which showcases and sells the work of rising stars. Since then Sorcha has been pursuing her career by producing seasonal collections in London.

sorcha o raghallaigh

Renowned for its mysterious and ethereal essence, her aesthetic is finds its centre in the use of Roman Catholic iconography. The latest collection stays true to this. The look pictured is reminiscent of the Child of Prague, and many of her pieces encapsulate religious female idolatry, with a subversive twist.

many of her pieces encapsulate religious female idolatry, with a subversive twist

One of her key Autumn/Winter ‘13 pieces is a completely sheer white lace wedding dress. On her unique style she says: “I’ve always been drawn to religious art, memorabilia and the idea of ceremony. I no longer practice religion but I guess growing up in Ireland there was always a strong sense of the Catholic Church so maybe it’s the feeling of nostalgia as well as the purely aesthetic side that continues to inspire me. As I’ve gotten older I’ve developed a fascination for other religions’ rituals and aesthetics. It’s just something I’m continually fascinated with.”

Sorcha O'Raghallaigh

Her religious-inspired style has taken the London fashion scene by storm and recent fashion houses have displayed similar elements to her style. Most notably Dolce & Gabanna’s A/W 13 collection used rich blood reds, lace and gold accessories. However, O’Raghallaigh remains humble and denies any imitation on their part: “I would be crazy to consider that any big fashion house is referencing my work.”

Following classic feminine silhouettes, her pieces are drowned in luxurious tulle and lace, but are still sexually provocative. They are decadent and ornate, decorated with intricate hand-crafted beading and accessories such as gold and silver crowns, necklaces and beaded stockings, interestingly all constructed out of safety pins. Hand-crafted pieces are her staple and she is already, at her young age, a master of couture.

Hand-crafted pieces are her staple and she is already, at her young age, a master of couture

Her most recent collection is no doubt more commercial than her earlier collections yet still maintains the subtleties of her signature style. Her first collection was highly avant-garde, catering to the likes of Lady Gaga, who christened one of her pieces her ‘wedding dress’ when she appeared in it on the Graham Norton show in 2011. Recalling the incident O’Raghallaigh says, ‘It was a huge honour and a moment I will never forget.’ Recruited by Lady Gaga’s stylist Anna Trevelyan, she was commissioned to make her several pieces. Trevelyan said of O’Raghallaigh: “She is very uniquely talented. I really believe that she is a true artist, what she does is couture.”

Overall, her work is astounding for its simple aesthetic pleasures. One of her greatest accomplishments is taking something regarded as ugly in the eyes of young Irish people and making it beautiful again.

Sorcha O’Raghallaigh is currently working on her next collection, and her most recent work can be viewed on her website.

http://sorcha-o-raghallaigh.tumblr.com/

http://www.facebook.com/SorchaORaghallaigh

https://twitter.com/sorchaorags