Cancer Soc to Host Trinity’s First 24-Hour On-Campus Event

"Relay for Life" will take place from March 5th to 6th with societies and classes across College taking part.

Emer Gerrard | Senior Staff Writer

Cancer Soc’s “Relay for Life”, taking place from March 5th to 6th, is set to be Trinity’s first ever 24-hour, on-campus event. The event will begin at midday on Wednesday 5th March on the Cricket Pitch, before moving into the Sports Centre overnight and then resuming outside the following morning.

This will be the second year that the society has organised the event. Last year it was held in Sandymount and was organised in conjunction with RCSI’s Cancer Society.

“Relay for Life” is a concept which began in Washington in 1985. Dr. Gordy Klatt sought to assist his local cancer society and decided to personally raise money by running marathons. He spent 24 hours circling the track at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, running more than 83 miles. Throughout the night, friends paid $25 to run or walk 30 minutes with him. He raised $27,000 to fight cancer.

Nowadays, the event is less like a marathon and rather more akin to a festival. It consists of three stages: celebrating the lives of people who have battled cancer; remembering loved ones whom the disease has taken away; and lastly fighting back against cancer.

Societies and classes across College have put teams together, each making a donation to take part. Individuals can also get involved by buying a “candle of hope”, which they can decorate in honour of someone affected by cancer. This candle will then be placed on the Cricket Pitch on the night of the event for the “Candle of Hope” ceremony. Anyone who has been directly affected by cancer is welcome to participate in the opening ceremony’s “Lap of Honour”.

If you have any queries or would like to get involved, contact Cancer Soc at [email protected]