Leadership Race 2014: Day Seven

Our update on the seventh day of campaigning in the Students' Union elections.

President:

Edmund Heaphy | Creative Director

Both presidential candidates were conscious of getting out the vote today, with the day being nothing out of the ordinary excluding the release of the 1,131 person University Times Election poll.

When asked for comment on the results, which predict a landslide win for Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne, McGlacken-Byrne’s campaign said: “obviously we’re happy enough with the result, but as we’ve said before we’re focusing on producing a high turnout for the election itself over the next few days. As has been said, polls are informative and encouraging but not as important as the main poll!”

Pickersgill’s campaign said: “Obviously the results were disappointing but we remain optimistic and confident that we can pull the substantial number of undecided voters to our side.”

Both Pickersgill and McGlacken-Byrne followed a typical campaigning schedule today. McGlacken-Byrne spent time at D’Olier St. and the Hamilton before voting began, and spent his lunchtime at the JCR cafe.

Meanwhile, Pickersgill spent the majority of the day travelling between the Arts Block and the Hamilton, and was said to have been “pleased with the response from voters”, who were “glad to finally be able to voice their support”.

Communications:

Paul Glynn | Senior Staff Writer

Of significant importance to both candidates today was the release of The University Times Election Special and its accompanying poll of 1,131 students’ voting preferences. Riggs, who achieved 65 per cent in the overall poll for Communications, welcomed the result, but was cautious of the high number of undecided votes cast: “I was a little disappointed at the high ‘undecided’ vote,” he says, “but the fact that I polled highest in all year groups and faculties bar one, which I was tied with my competitor in, proves how much more students value face-to-face interaction and contact. In an age when people are potentially losing faith in the SU, it’s important that they feel there’s an officer who’ll listen and represent their opinions and needs to the rest of the elected Sabbatical officers. Overall, it’s safe to say that I was delighted with the result of the poll.”

Discussing the number of students turning up to vote, Riggs commented that: “Voter turnout today was good – as I understand, there was a great turn-out in James’, but I’m making sure that I, along with my campaigners, encourage as many people to vote as possible.”

Moloney expressed similar concerns about the 57 per cent rate of undecided voters recorded, saying: “the conventional methods of campaigning just do not connect with students and the election rules get in the way of communicating with students in new ways. This has really got to be fixed. How long do small groups of students continue to take up roles in the SU, pretending they represent students and not really caring that they don’t?” He added that: “the SU is a communications network of students or it is nothing. Until we understand that and make it a reality, the same old story will continue to play out.  So I agree with the UT’s analysis of the result.” He remained confident about his prospects for election, stating finally: “I can win this if all the people who like my approach get out and vote.”

Welfare:

Charlotte Ryan & Fiona Gribben | Staff Writers

Voting has commenced on campus and as campaigning is forbidden around the voting stand the enthusiasm of Dan’s campaign team has been restricted today. Nevertheless Dan says he is “delighted that voting has begun” citing the keen attitude of students to engage with his manifesto. He believes his TCDSU Landlord Database has been particularly popular; the students he spoke to at Hustings last night in Halls were very interested in the potential workings of it he said. As the Leadership Race draws to a close, Dan reiterated his suitability for the role: “I believe I am the best candidate as I have worked with many different issues that students face and I have ideas that could make a big difference to the welfare of TCD students next year.”

Ian Mooney also noticed the “decrease in the amount of coloured t-shirts” in the usual campaign spots today, though some campaigning carried on. Mooney stated that after the busy week and a half of fierce and stressful campaigning he thinks “everyone will be happy when these elections are over!” Some of Mooney’s team were stationed in the Arts Block and the Hamilton while he visited James’ Hospital and D’Olier St to deliver lecture addresses. He said that with the hard work finished, “the big thing is actually getting people out to vote now!”

Education:

Sarah Ledden | Staff Writer

With the second day of polling underway, and polling stations opening on campus, the Leadership Race is running into the vital closing days with candidates focused on encouraging students to commit to voting in addition to selecting their name on the ballot slip. Katie Byrne spent the morning at St. James’ hospital before returning to the main campus for the afternoon.

The release of The University Times election poll suggests that Byrne is in a strong position in the Leadership Race gaining 85% of decided votes. From the UT statistics, her own faculty, EMS, awarded her 90% of their Education votes. Speaking to The University Times, in response to these results Byrne said she is “delighted with the UT poll, I had expected EMS to be high enough but 90% is unbelievable, brilliant to have such support from my own faculty”. She went on to say that she “hopes it translates into actual votes over the next few days”.

Asked how she would encourage students to exercise their right to vote, she responded that “hopefully just getting around to as many as possible and really try make them understand why it’s so important that they have their say in elections” will be enough to have the support demonstrated in the UT poll enacted upon in the Leadership Race elections.

Ents:

Patrick Lavelle | Staff Writer

Voting got into full swing today, with voting opening in the Arts Block, Hamilton and D’Olier Street, while voting in St. Jame’s continuing into its second day. Finn told The University Times that he spent the day “just focusing on getting out the vote”. He referred to his club night in the Village last night as a great success. Ben too was delighted with his club night in Lost Society. Speaking to The University Times, Ben said “we’ve had an amazing response over the past few days. Over the weekend after regaining online presence and after a successful Halls Hustings and night out, we’re all in great form”. Unfortunately Alex was not available to comment. According to its Facebook event, the Masquerade Boat party she organised for tonight was unfortunately postponed due to a problem with the venue and the original date.

The big story of the day was the release of the much-anticipated University Times Election Poll results, which show Finn in a clear lead with 52% of the votes. Ben polled 25% of the vote, while Alex received 18%. 5% of students opted for the option to ‘Re-open Nominations’. Speaking to the University Times, Ben said “we don’t feel the polls reflect the word and feeling on the ground”, adding ‘we’re still fighting extremely hard to fight Finn’s momentum, but hopefully we can still come out on top”. Finn meanwhile welcomed the poll results, stating “the UT poll is good with us ahead in all years and faculties, but we don’t want to be complacent”.