Leadership Race 2014: Day Two

Our update on the second day of campaigning in the Students' Union elections.

President:

Aisling Curtis | Senior Staff Writer

Neil Cronin announced his withdrawal from the presidential race earlier this afternoon. Speaking to The University Times by phone this evening, Cronin briefly discussed his reasons for withdrawing, citing psychological tolls: “I was thinking of dropping out yesterday before it started because I wasn’t in the right mindset for it. I felt like I couldn’t represent myself properly.” Following up later by email, he said: “I started doubting myself thoroughly and didn’t have it in me to continue for the two weeks, even though I believed I was very much in the race.” Stating he stood by his manifesto, he said he had the utmost respect for the other two candidates, and thanked his friends for their support during the campaign.

Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne expressed his regret at Cronin’s withdrawal, citing the pressures that the “gruelling process” can inflict.

The Dining Hall hustings were the primary event of the day. McGlacken-Byrne reiterated his Students’ Union experience and further emphasised his “best and most boring-sounding idea”: a four-year strategic plan, which would bring to the SU the “sense of direction that [it] is lacking”. Responding to a question, he also stated that, although his primary focus would be on Trinity students, “Trinity also has a privileged role in being a potential leader in society” and must use its public podium to effect change.

Jasper Pickersgill emphasised his intention to “build long-term initiatives that will transform and improve the college”, in particular the creation of an employment agency. He claimed he would be “accountable” and “willing to listen” if elected.

Claire Donlon asked Pickersgill if he was a member of the Zeta Psi fraternity. Pickersgill stated that, though he had been involved in first year “to make friends”, he is no longer an active member, does “not support their policies of discrimination”, and would “campaign against the operation of the frat”.

Both candidates also spoke at the LGBT hustings this evening. Pickersgill stated that he “would like to work closely with the LGBT community”, and would encourage greater integration, as well as working to maintain equality in the SU. McGlacken-Byrne asserted that transgender rights are the biggest challenge faced by the LGBT community, stating that he would work to allow students to change their gender on their student record and would open more gender neutral bathrooms throughout college. In terms of the marriage equality referendum in 2015, both candidates cited the importance of a rigorous voter registration drive.

For both candidates the second day of campaigning was successful. McGlacken-Byrne visited the Hamilton for the first time, and stated that his team is “keeping up momentum”. Sebastian McAteer, Pickersgill’s campaign manager, said there has been a “great response” to their campaign. Tomorrow, both candidates will attend the student protest at the Russian Embassy in opposition to the Sochi Winter Olympics and LGBT rights in Russia.

Additional reporting by Edmund Heaphy, Creative Director

Communications:

Paul Glynn | Senior Staff Writer

Day two of campaigning for PJ Moloney and Samuel Riggs was mainly business as usual, with public Hustings events prioritised in both agendas. The Dining Hall Hustings were attended by both, each with two and a half minutes to speak and time afterwards for three questions.

Moloney addressed the crowd first, discussing his experience in college publications and providing the example of his multimedia campaign strategy to highlight a deficit in the Union’s attempt to embrace such communication methods on a stronger level, which he plans to rectify. He also described his vision for a rotation of student editors for The University Times.

In later discussion on the Hustings, Moloney added that: “the real issue here is whether the Communications Officer is going to be a leader of change”.

Riggs, who was “absolutely delighted” at the response and turnout for the Hustings, addressed Moloney’s “cyclical editors” plan stating that any change to the paper’s editorship would have to be decided on by the students. Riggs continued by discussing his own manifesto for making the SU’s website more accessible and comprehensive for users, and introducing a style guide and Health Sciences correspondent for UT.

Commenting on the day’s proceedings, Riggs said: “I was so happy to get the chance to really interact with people and get their response on what they want their Comms Officer to do.” He noted that students had been visiting his Hamilton campaign stand and writing on a promotional signboard. On his online presence, Riggs commented that it was “active as ever, with a great presence and an impressive online reach on our posts – we’re delighted that people are interacting with the campaign on a truly active level.”

At the day’s second Hustings co-ordinated by QSoc, Riggs discussed the relevant communications policies which he would introduce if elected: he spoke about the introduction of a University Times supplement dedicated to LGBT issues, highlighted his plans to create a tab on the renovated TCDSU website for information on all SU campaigns, and expressed his wish to increase opportunities for groups without broad media representation.

Moloney was unable to attend these Hustings, stating that he was “very upset that [he] was not able to attend it”, but nonetheless lauded QSoc’s contribution to student life, saying: “[QSoc] is a great society that is really well organized and I believe that the SU should be doing more to publicize their work.”

Welfare:

Fiona Gribben & Charlotte Ryan | Staff Writers

Dan McFadden continued his busy pace of campaigning on the second day of the race, keeping up his presence in Goldsmith, the Hamilton and the BioMed this morning and returning to the Arts Block in the evening.

The key event of the day was the Hustings on the steps of the Dining Hall. This offered an opportunity for Dan to outline further a significant aspect of his campaign, the TCDSU Landlord Database. He said he would “personally recruit” landlords to help ease the yearly accommodation crisis facing students. As someone currently “homeless and sleeping on a couch with these eejits [his supporters below]”, he said he understood the anxiety felt by many students in their search for accommodation.

Dan’s campaign has continued to utilize social media, and last night a video entitled ‘Open out, Reach out, Share.’ was released on YouTube. This depicted scenarios involving financial and emotional difficulties, acted out by students. The video has thus far amassed close to 400 views.

At the Q-Soc hustings which took place at 6pm, Dan described the biggest issue facing LGBT students as a lack of “trans awareness”; students not knowing “what ‘transgender’ is” and the pressing need to fight for the rights of those who identify themselves as such. Asked how he would tackle homophobia in Halls, Dan proposed liaising with Q Soc in order to bring workshops on LGBT awareness out to Rathmines. He also described organising the first-ever Halls JCR LGBT nights out as “one of [his] proudest moments”. Dan said he can relate to the issues discussed because, being a member of the LGBTQ community himself, he has experience with many of the difficulties involved.

The day was somewhat less frantic for Ian Mooney and his team, their approach following the same format as yesterday, though noticeably more relaxed. Mooney continued his lecture addresses on the hour every hour, today focusing more on Engineering, Maths and Sciences in which Mooney is well-versed. The distribution of pamphlets was ongoing in the Arts Block, however Mooney stated he wanted to provide both the students and his campaigners with a break from the mayhem.

At the Dining Hall Hustings Mooney began his address with his own story. “I have been depressed for as long as I can remember,” he said. “I only started speaking out about it over the past two years and so many people have opened up to me about their own problems as a result of that.” A key aspect of his campaign is to “promote positive mental health” events and would like to see “free condoms at every Ents event”. He cited HIV statistics for the country and said more awareness was needed on that front.

Afterwards Ian said that despite forgetting to mention a number of things, “the overall response was fantastic”. At this stage in the campaign, Mooney said that he was relieved to be finally starting the race after a stressful run up to it and was “having great fun so far”.

At the Q-Soc Hustings he said that the most important issue facing LGBT students is mental health, referencing the high suicide rates among transgender people. He emphasised the importance of approachability of the Union and publicising the available services and what the Welfare Officer is doing. Ian stated that the themed weeks are great but “LGBT issues aren’t just five days a year, they should be promoted throughout the year.” In practical terms, Ian said Trans students should be able to express their gender on their student record.

Education:

Sarah Ledden | Contributing Writer

In addition to campaigning in the Arts Block and Hamilton today, Education candidate Katie Byrne was present at both the TCDSU Dining Hall Hustings and QSoc and TCDSU LGBT Hustings, at which her plans, policies and their implications were discussed.

While addressing students from the steps of the Dining Hall, Byrne spoke about some of the key issues from her manifesto. She mentioned her proposal for improved organisation and structure in the Student’s Union; noting accessibility to be a “simple solution” for solving many problems with Trinity’s educational structure, she reiterated the need to encourage lecturers to further utilize the Blackboard facilities that extracted a huge cost to introduce, and particularly to make it a central hub for module information, feedback and assessment.

Byrne also mentioned her plan to introduce faculty-specific seminars by career experts. In describing her desire to make class rep training cost-efficient, she advocated active listening and safe talk programmes incorporated into the training and to make training faculty specific to best serve the diversity of college courses. No questions from the audience were volunteered.

At LGBT Hustings, Byrne addressed the need for Health Sciences to adapt their curriculum to include an LGBT-specific approach and better prepare students for instances when they interact with the LGBT community in their discipline. As a self-expressed LGBT ally, a position which she claimed is instrumental in acting “as a bridge between the really active LGBTQ community and those who are less informed”, Byrne proposed improvements to class rep training to further educate students about LGBT issues.

Tomorrow Byrne and her campaign team will be attending the rally outside the Russian Embassy protesting the Sochi Winter Olympics before heading to St James’ Hospital.

Ents:

Emer Gerrard | Staff Writer

Despite the frosty morning, day two of campaigning began early. Ben O’Mathúin’s team were already showing their presence in the Arts Block before 9am while Finn Murphy’s team stated that they had been there since 8:30am. Alex Giersz admitted that her team was small in comparison but that she believed this had not prevented them from getting her message across.

Giersz was in good form after her speech at Dining Room Hustings which she described as “nerve-racking, but once I stood up there it was all okay and flew by.” Speaking to The University Times, Alex described the event she has planned for next week, which will raise money for Cancer Soc as well as hopefully increasing her profile. The masquerade boat party she has organised will be hosted on the MV Cill Airne. Tickets, on sale from tomorrow, will cost €20.

Finn Murphy’s shark-themed campaign is also going well according to his supporters, one of whom is Junior Freshmen student Ciarán Gaffley. He said that he was enjoying the campaigning and believed it was beneficial to get involved in college politics in first year. Ciarán said he was very impressed with Finn’s competitor Alex, saying running in first year showed “bravery and initiative” and he wished her well.

Clarissa, a campaigner for Ben O’Mathúin said that the campaign was going well and that they were looking forward to the UV party in Palace tomorrow night. However, her team-mate Gavin added that the campaign was “boring but positive”.

This evening saw Ben and Finn speak at QSoc Hustings; Alex was not in attendance. When asked what their overall approach would be in relation to the LGBT community, Ben said “inclusivity” while Finn stated “support”.

One of Finn’s main ideas is to “introduce a staffing system similar to The University Times and create a number of set positions with focused responsibilities.” This would include positions such as a Live Music Officer and a Sports Events officer, as well as an LGBT events officer. Meanwhile, Ben said he would like to work with QSoc to enhance the presence of LGBT nights out on campus, as he felt this presence is lacking at present.