The End of an Era?

Ciar McCormick spends a day in the Exchange Dublin of Temple Bar.

Ciar McCormick | Staff Writer

On the 29th of January the Journal reported that the Temple Bar Cultural Trust (TBCT) was to close the Exchange due to reports of “violent behaviour” in and around the area their building is located. Three days later, I met with 3rd year Law Student Aoife Ngo and her contact within the Exchange, Krishna before making the 10 minute journey across Temple Bar. We planned to visit the exchange in the late afternoon to interview some of the volunteers. Coincidentally I had been acquainted with Krishna previously, he was a cordial philosophy student of Indian origin; witty and soft spoken with philosophical jokes that I probably appreciated more than most. We strolled down through Temple Bar, to Exchange Street where the Collective Arts Centre is situated. I had never heard of Exchange before so this was a new adventure for me.

The Exchange Dublin was set up in 2009 by Dylan Haskins, Andreas von Knobloch, Jonah King, Stephen Foy, Peter Simms and Roisin Beirne as well as others under the premise that it would be a new collective arts centre, run entirely by young people. This centre for the arts would hold discussions, gigs, visual arts and performance. Exchange Dublin was set up as a non-alcohol and drug-free space, and events would be open to people of all ages. At this moment in time Exchange Conor McQuillan has been appointed secretary following the resignation of Robin Cafolla, and that he is amongst a group of people handling the bureaucratic aspects of managing the space is run. Volunteers can have many roles; from answering emails, to organising events or making cups of tea.

“Many artists who didn’t have the money to rent a gallery could exhibit their art here, similarly with musicians who wanted to play gigs”

As soon as I arrived I was greeted by the volunteers I was set to interview. The first went by the name of Jessie; he was a tanned French man with long unkempt hair and a thin face. He was a webpage designer and began volunteering since the first day he heard of Exchange. The best thing about the Exchange for him was the freedom, the fact that he could walk in on any day of the week and talk to new people, do art, listen to music or drink a cup of tea. “When you meet a friend you go to a coffee shop to talk, but with the Exchange you have a place to socialise that is free.” The second volunteer I met was a local Dublin man called Saul. He had a handle bar moustache and curly hair. He described himself as a space user as well as a volunteer. He talked in detail about the different activities that went on in the space. Many artists who didn’t have the money to rent a gallery could exhibit their art here, similarly with musicians who wanted to play gigs. He stressed that natural talent was not an essential quality of a space user. “There are so many times when I have caught a person staring in, waved at them and they have come in to see what is going on.” I really got the impression that the Exchange was a social hub as well as a centre for the arts, the freedom of the space was essential to the essence of Exchange.

As I scanned the room I noticed that the tables were covered in paint bottles and brushes. I was told the plain white walls would usually be draped in paintings and artwork. “It is usually much busier” Saul explained “we are preparing to move out in a week”. Around the corner in the back there was a small performance area with wooden floors and a small stage. A guitar stood in its case in the corner. A tall, goateed man caught my eye as I surveyed the room. He was Polish; he was a choreographer of folk dances. I asked him if there were any similar organisations in Poland. He said “no, nothing as free as this, you can walk in whenever you want and no matter who you are”.

A crowd began to grow and we were asked to move back the tables. Representatives from the TBCT had arrived to address the members of Exchange. Mr Ray Yeates was the leader of this small group of representatives. A 10 point plan had been drafted by Mr Yeates, CEO of the TBCT and City Arts Officer at Dublin City Council (DCC), on the future of the Exchange. He had previously sat on The Lord Mayors ‘Commission on Anti-Social Behaviour’ and was heavily involved in county counsel operations in the Ballymun area. With the coming of the evening the room began to darken as everyone present gathered in a circle to listen.

“The main problem he clarified was with the small minority of violent youths who make use of the space as well homeless people, drug users and people with mental difficulties”

Mr Yeates proceeded to explain the reason for closure, the reports of violent behaviour, people staying over, and the counsel’s problem with how the front door was run as well as complaints from locals. Mr Yeates praised the fact that such a diverse group of people come through the doors of the Exchange on a daily basis. “That’s a kind of dream come true for the government, probably because the government weren’t involved in it” he joked. The main problem he clarified was with the small minority of violent youths who make use of the space as well homeless people, drug users and people with mental difficulties. He explained the “proposed pause”, a plan to close the exchange for three months to see whether this will lower the rate of violent behaviour. Mr Yeates spoke with a respectful yet authoritative tone of voice and was not hesitant to remind the space users that as a City Official and essentially landlord of the space, he could shut the Exchange down for good, if he wanted. Although he was trying to appear as if to reach out to the members of the Exchange, proposing that the agreement will potentially help maintain a future for the Exchange, Mr Yeates never gave any promises or clarity in regards to the outlook for the Collective Arts Centre.

There was a resigned look in the room. You could tell the space users were coming to terms with the impending reality of the Exchanges closure, whether it be temporary or permanent. I started to feel sad as well and I had only been in the place for a few hours. The discussion was soon brought to an end and I decided to depart. As I exited the Exchange, into the darkened streets the lock was being changed by TBCT workers, a sign of the impending closure.

It should be acknowledged that the Exchange has its bad points that, if unadjusted, could be potentially dangerous if let continue. Let’s not perpetuate the “ignorant, emotional student” stereotype that prevails in many government bodies. To fail to mention the shortcomings of the Exchange would be to mislead readers. The fears regarding untrained volunteers that cannot respond correctly in the unfortunate occurrence of someone experiencing a psychotic episode was raised by Mr Yeates, or similarly someone who is experiencing homelessness, or who needs emergency medical attention. There is great work taking place in the Exchange but lack of structure, administration trouble and proper training do not make it sustainable in the long run? It seems as though the open door policy and the laid back philosophy that is valued by the space users may have to change for the Exchange to continue in the future. As I talked to the volunteers this romantic comparison began to grow in my head between Exchange and Gertrude Stein’s Salon of the ‘Lost Generation’ in Paris in the 1920’s, where you could meet the future Picasso’s and Hemmingway’s, but the reality is that the Exchange may have to change a few of its policies if it wants to last, in this century anyway.

“It remains to be seen if the Exchange will be given a building to continue its endeavours once the three month ‘pause’ is up”

Almost two weeks since the closure of Exchange and all has been very quiet. There is a sense of uncertainty at the moment. Una Mullaly briefly stirred up a bit of interest with her Daily Digest in the Irish Times praising that “hopefully this Exchange stuff will work out and everyone is happy; residents, local businesses, and most importantly, the people of all ages who make use of Exchange, a space that has made a massive contribution to the social and cultural landscape of Temple Bar.” I think most people have the same sentiments towards Exchange, but it remains to be seen if the Exchange will be given a building to continue its endeavours once the three month ‘pause’ is up. The creative work that is done there will be missed by the Temple Bar area in the meantime. Let’s hope this idyllic space is not gone for good.