Trinity Young Fine Gael Criticise Hist’s Introduction of Gender Quotas

The President of Trinity YFG has said that gender quotas are "anti-equality and anti-democratic".

Catherine O’Callaghan | Staff Writer

The President of Trinity Young Fine Gael has issued a statement criticising the introduction of gender quotas by the College Historical Society. A 40 percent minimum quota for female speakers at debates was implemented last Wednesday at a Private Business Meeting in response to demands made by five female committee members. These demands aimed to tackle sexism within the society, which these members claim to have experienced on an ongoing basis.

President of Trinity Young Fine Gael, Hayley Jenkinson, has said of the decision: “Though we – the committee of Trinity YFG – strongly support the Hist’s recent efforts to tackle subtle everyday sexism, we do not agree with the introduction of minimum quota of 40% female speakers at Hist events. Gender quotas are anti-equality and anti-democratic, and it is hoped that the Hist will, in the near future, pursue alternative options to increase female participation at their events.”

Miss Jenkinson explained that sexism is an issue taken extremely seriously both by Trinity Young Fine Gael and by her personally, stating: “Do not dismiss our concern as taking a ‘laissez faire attitude’ to female under-representation.”

She continued, “Sexism needs to be tackled head on, but not through gender quotas.” She pointed to the balance of female and male members within Trinity Young Fine Gael, and the fact that the committee is female-led, along with a majority of female committee members.

In response to this criticism, the members of the Hist who demanded the introduction of gender quotas have said: “Of course, YFG are entitled to their opinion, but as committee members who have been at almost every Wednesday night debate for the past two or three years, we believe that these measures are in the best interests of the society. Also, the implementation of gender quotas was debated this week at the Hist, and the motion in favour of gender quotas passed by a wide majority. While the outcomes of public business debates have no impact in terms of the laws of the Hist, it is an approximation of the feelings of our members towards this measure and therefore is, in fact, democratic.”