What’s on this Week: Pick of Society Events

Societies Editor Anna Harrington looks into some smaller society events going on this week

After the excitement of Trinity Arts Festival last week, society fiends will need something to divert their attention towards to distract themselves from over-enthusiastic SU campaigners. A number of cute and interesting events are being run by some of the smaller, less well-known societies throughout the week, as well as an amazing line-up of guests with The Hist mid-week. Read on to find out more…

plastic-bottle-fish-sculpture

Monday
Ahead of next week’s Green Week, the Environment Society have teamed up with the Visual Arts Society to organise an ambitious recycled art project using old plastic bottles. A meeting will be held at 6pm on Monday evening in the VisArts Room in House 6 to discuss ideas for the project. After that, if you’re feeling philosophical, you can head along to a talk at 7pm in the GMB with Warwick sociologist Stephen Fuller on the topic: “What would Bram Stoker make of transhumanism?” The hosts, the Theological Society, are known for their generous receptions to take the edge off after the talk.

bookshelves_1

Tuesday
As part of their weeklong Literary Festival, the Literary Society will be holding a Publishing Panel at 4.30pm in the GMB. They have an amazing line-up planned, which includes John Boyne, author of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Guests will discuss the publishing industry for would-be publishers and English students.

archbishop-martin

Wednesday
The Hist have really outdone themselves with their guest line-up at this week’s debate, and will see Sinéad O’Connor (!!!) and Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, among others, debate on the motion “This House Believes The Catholic Church Can Be Salvaged.” Presumably Sinéad-fans and media will be tearing the door down, so this will probably be an early-queuing job. You have been warned. If you don’t make it in the door of the GMB but still want an interesting and stimulating evening, FLAC and DUGES will be holding an evening discussion and talk regarding the legal recognition of Transgender Rights from 7.30pm in the GSU Common Room.

Dublin Writers Museum Entrance

Thursday
To finish off your week before you retreat in the Pav for Valentine’s Day, indulge in some delicious exclusive writing history with DU History’s tour of Dublin Writer’s Museum at 1pm. Also taking place as part of the Literary Festival, the tour will show the museum which showcases an extensive history of Irish literary culture. In the evening, the new Sociology Society (delightfully nicknamed SocSoc) will host yet another guest this term. At 5pm in the GSU Common Room, Graham Ellison, researcher of sex work and prostitution, will speak to the society about his research. A reception will follow the event.