High Turnout at Student Nurses and Midwives Demonstration

Over 700 student nurses and midwives gathered outside Dr Steeven's Hospital to protest low wage rates

Leanna Byrne | Editor

Over 700 student nurses and midwives gathered outside Dr Steeven’s Hospital at 2pm today calling on Minister for Health, James Reilly, to introduce a proper rate of pay for graduate nurses.

The demonstration, organised by the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), brought students from across the country to speak out against the low wage training rates for these interns in the healthcare sector.

Nurses and midwives completing the first one-third of their training course are estimated to receive €6.49 per hour, which is equated to 75 per cent of the national minimum wage. The second third of their interning period pays nurses and midwives €6.92 per hour and the final third €7.79 per hour. This amounts to 80 per cent and 90 per cent of the national minimum wage respectively.

Furthermore, the starting salary for nurses and midwives is currently at €23,129 after four years of training. Eighty-five per cent of nurses and midwives will start at this rate of pay in their first year and 90 per cent in their second year.

Speaking at the demonstration, TCD JS Nursing student Grace Murphy criticised the government for calling nursing a “vocation”, stating that “nurses and midwives are professional healthcare providers, just like dentists and physicians”.

She went on to say that nurses are “asking to be treated with respect. We’re not asking for any special treatment or any undue admiration here”.

TCD student Adam Miller also spoke outside Dr Steeven’s Hospital highlighting how this low wage is unfair when long shifts and overtime is expected due to staff shortages in hospitals.

USI are now requesting that Minister James Reilly brings about an increase in pay for the graduate nurse scheme and “a conversation to ensure about the increase in student intern pay”.