Quinn Announces Reduced Third-Level Fees for Children of Irish Emigrants

Children of returning emigrants who have spent five years in school in Ireland will now be charged EU-level fees to study at third-level.

Patrick Lavelle | Staff Writer

Third-level fees charged to children of returning Irish emigrants are to be reduced, in a move announced by Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn earlier this week.

Under new measures, children of Irish migrants who have spent five years in primary or post-primary school in Ireland will be charged the same rate as EU nationals to study at undergraduate level. The new initiative was put in place to ensure that children who were moved out of the Irish education system due to emigration are allowed to return to study at third level, without being charged at the higher non-EU rate of fees. The initiative will also apply to other qualifying European citizens who have schooled their children in Ireland or the EU.

Announcing the new initiative, Minister for Education and Skills Ruairí Quinn said he did not want to see the children of Irish emigrants penalised, when it comes to attending third level, for the economic upheaval that led many of their parents to emigrate in search of work. Announcing the initiative on 17th March, Minister Quinn said “as we celebrate St Patrick’s Day with the Irish diaspora in every part of the world, it is fitting that I can make this announcement.”

President of the Union of Students in Ireland Joe O’Connor praised the measure, stating: “This is a welcome announcement and a positive step to reach out to the Irish Diaspora abroad and encourage them to return home.” O’Connor said that he had raised the issue with the Minister several months ago. However he stated that “this is merely a stopgap measure and gesture”, adding that the factors forcing people to emigrate now need to be addressed.

The Irish University Association (IUA), on the other hand, was less welcoming of the initiative.  IUA Chief Executive Ned Costello told The Irish Times that the cost associated with the initiative would be ‘unquantifiable’, as the number of non-EU students would inevitably increase as cost fell. He further stated: “Under section 40 of the University Act it is a matter for the universities themselves. There are questions about its implementation and feasibility in terms of revenue forgone by the universities, which are already under financial pressure.”

Gerry Murray of the Institutes of Technology Ireland was slightly more positive, however he warned of possible ‘unintended consequences’, depending on how many people take advantage of the new initiative.