Esteemed Fellows Optimistic Provost Will Address College Concerns On Proposed Logotype

Professors John Scattergood and David McConnell oppose suggestions of heckling at Scholars Dinner and welcome a new approach to the rebranding exercise.

Leanna Byrne | Editor

Trinity College Dublin Pro-Chancellor, Professor John Scattergood, and Professor David McConnell from the Department of Genetics have refuted claims that significant “heckling” took place during Provost’s speech at the Scholars Dinner on Monday and are confident that the Provost will reconsider changes to the coat of arms and name “Trinity College Dublin”.

Speaking at the Scholars Dinner on Monday evening, Provost Patrick Prendergast addressed the recent controversy surrounding the Identity Initiative by saying that “we have consulted with our Trinity community. We have heard your views. And we have listened”.

Prendergast went on to say that it has become clear this past week that the Trinity community have “an incredible connection to the shield” and that they feel the coat of arms reflects “a place of heritage and tradition” that is also a “modern, technological university, strong on research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and of global standing”.

Although reports surfaced from sources attending the Scholars Dinner that many had voiced their issues with the rebranding exercise, both Professors Scattergood and McConnell have denied hearing any heckling and told The University Times that while there may have been “noise down the back” that any vocal opposition to anything in the Provost’s speech was “inaudible from the front of the room”. Both wished to point out at no point did the Provost engage with any members of the audience while delivering his speech.

Commenting on the Provost’s speech, Professor McConnell commended how Prendergast responded to the various concerns raised by the College community in relation to the proposed new logotype. In a letter to The Irish Times published today he said: “I was at the scholars’ dinner on Monday where I heard the best provost’s speech of that annual occasion for more than a decade, for which the provost received warm and prolonged applause.”

Prof. McConnell is also positive that the Provost will “not be complacent” when it comes to the rebranding and will take onboard the “very serious disquiet” that was displayed by the members of College during the Town Hall last Friday.

“The coat of arms has never been analysed with as much care by so many people as on Friday,” said Prof. McConnell. “Hardly any of us had spent time on it before, and indeed few people ever will.  They will just see an historic shield which tells them one thing, that Trinity is an ancient institution with a sense of style. It is our record, our graduates, and our current staff and students who are responsible for maintaining our substantial historical reputation.”