Front Gate Damaged by Joyrider

The incident involving a 68-year-old man occurred early this morning.

Paul Glynn | Senior Staff Writer

A car has crashed into the front gate of Trinity College, causing significant damage to the historic entrance doors at Regent House. The incident occurred at around 06:30 this Wednesday morning. A 68 year-old man has been arrested in relation to the crash and is being detained in Store Street Garda Station.

There were no injuries following the incident. The car entered the campus by driving behind a cleaning van that was entering the area at the same time. Following efforts by campus security to stop it from entering, the car pressed through into the front section of College, and then returned towards the Front Gate entrance, where the driver proceeded to break through the historic entrance doors after ramming into them a number of times.

The driver then drove onto Dame Street and continued down Nassau Street until he was apprehended by Gardaí on Dawson Street at around 6:35AM. As a result of the incident the Front Gate entrance has been closed off for repair work and is expected to reopen on Thursday. A rumored is circulating in Trinity College states, the heads of the school are looking to replace the front gate with automatic gates to improve security; however, it is unclear if this decision will transpire. Pedestrians are being directed to use the Nassau Street and Pearse Street entrances to the campus in the interim instead.