What We’re Listening To 8

Eoin Hennessy

Eoin Hennessy | Music Editor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2DA0RfIbBU

Gucci Mane – Trap Back

Currently serving time in prison for two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm, Gucci Mane is certainly no stranger to controversy. Despite his numerous run-ins with the law, one must still bear in mind that Gucci is a musician. While most people are unable to stand his drawled raps, this writer has taken a bit of guilty pleasure from the Atlanta MC. “Trap Back” is from Gucci Mane’s 2012 mixtape of the same name and is essential listening for those enthralled by the Spring Breakers’ star.

Dru Hill – How Deep Is Your Love (Groove Chronicles Remix)

Although it was released over fifteen years ago, Groove Chronicles’ remix of Dru Hill sounds as modern as ever, particularly with the recent resurgence of UK Garage. Steven Judd’s remix manages to maintain the flare that the Baltimore R&B quartet originally created, while also adding a rumbling bass line and infectious drum pattern.

Madlib & Freddie Gibbs – High feat. Danny Brown

Since its release, Madlib & Freddie Gibbs’ collaborative album Piñata has been on repeat in our speakers. Freddie’s rugged vocals and Madlib’s weirdo beats make for the perfect combination. Although Danny Brown’s verse may be indecipherable, this Freda Payne sampling track is a joy to listen to. While Piñata may not be as good as Madlib’s work with MF DOOM, it’s certainly one of the best hip hop albums in recent years.