Eighty-one Year Old Yoshio Oro Conferred with PhD in Social Gerontology

Eighty-one year old Yoshio Oro hopes to set an example for all age groups in academia after being conferred a PhD.

Leanna Byrne | Editor

Japanese native, Yoshio Oro, was conferred with a PhD in Social Gerontology in Trinity College Dublin (TCD) last month at the age of 81.

Oro is a Japanese professor Emeritus of English and English Studies at Toyohashi University of Technology, specialising in the works of the English poet, Robert Browning. He was also the recipient of the ‘‘Zuiho-Chujyusho’ (the Middle Order of the Sacred Treasure) from the Japanese Emperor in November 2011 because of his 40-year contribution to higher education in Japan.

At 72, Yoshio Oro retired as a college professor and moved to Galway where he completed a diploma at the Irish Centre for Social Gerontology in the National University of Ireland Galway in 2006. After receiving First Class honours, he transfered to TCD to undertake a five year PhD focusing on sporting activities for the elderly.

In his research, Oro explored the meaning and experience of club-based sports activities for older people in different contexts. That research took him to Japan and Australia, as well as talking to some sporting clubs in North Dublin.

According to the TCD Social Work and Social Policy news feed, Oro discovered that older sports persons maintain their attitude and aptitude for sporting activities, despite advancing age. Powerful selection effects are at work among them (e.g. positive life-course effects and sociable personality), which further result in ‘virtuous circles’, whereby sports participation drives various positive outcomes such as physical health and mental wellbeing.

After graduation, Oro intends to further contribute to healthy longevity and wellbeing of older people through his academic and practical activities.

Speaking to The University Times, Oro said that he “does not feel old” and that he wants his contributions to academia to inspire students across all age groups.

“I am very happy to get this PhD,” said Oro. “I will be continuing with my research as I feel there is a lot more to do in this area.”

Oro currently calls Renmore in Galway his home and hopes to carry out the rest of his research in Ireland.