Youth Groups Urge Young People To Make Their Voice Heard Ahead Of Election

40% of 18-25 year olds remain undecided on voting preference.

Sarah Ledden | Staff Writer

Young voters will play a key role in the outcome of this week’s local and European elections, according to findings from the latest election polls, with 40% of young people undecided on their voting preference.

The polls, conducted by The Sunday Times, indicate that approximately 40% of young people aged 18-25 are still undecided with only days until the elections.

A number of youth groups including the National Youth Council of Ireland (NYCI), the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) and SpunOut.ie are urging young people to have their voices heard and for campaigners to target young people in the run up to the local and European elections.

NYCI, USI and SpunOut.ie are running their ‘Promote the Vote’ campaign to encourage the 458,000 young people in Ireland who are eligible to vote to do so.

James Doorley, NYCI deputy director, urges young people to use their vote on Friday “to ensure politicians hear their voice”.

Dooley believes undecided voters will support candidates who address issues relevant to them, saying: “These floating voters will support candidates committed to addressing the core issues impacting on the lives of young people today.”

“It’s vital that young people go out and vote as it’s one of the best means by which to get politicians and political parties to engage with issues that impact on the daily lives of young people,” added Ian Power, executive director of SpunOut.ie.

USI president, Joe O’Connor, addressed the importance of electoral candidates in approaching young people, saying “We [USI, NYCI & SpunOut.ie] call on candidates to communicate with young voters and outline what they plan to do to address the concerns and needs of young people.”

Reporting a 12% increase in voter turnout for young people in the 2011 general election from the previous general election, O’Connor reminds candidates of the importance for politicians to engage with this “important demographic”.

The organisations hosted an election hustings debate on Tuesday night in Trinity College’s Science Gallery where young people could engage with candidates, with issues such as youth employment, mental health stigmatisation and LGBT rights discussed.