Postgraduate Student Adam Hanna elected as Vice-President of the GSU

Hanna placed particular emphasis on the welfare of postgrad students.

Aisling Curtis | Senior Staff Writer

Postgraduate student Adam Hanna was elected as the Graduate Students’ Union vice-president last Friday.

Currently completing a Masters in International and EU Business Law, Hanna ran on a number of core platforms in his bid for election, placing particular emphasis on the welfare of postgrad students.

His campaign was built upon a number of key priorities: accommodation; GSU engagement; social life; postgraduate welfare; healthy eating; and jobs and volunteering.

He intends to provide the best accommodation resources to students upon registration, and establish a Community-Paired Accommodation scheme that would place students with elderly people.

In order to facilitate GSU engagement with all students, he also plans to spread GSU coffee mornings between on- and off-campus buildings, as well as organising greater integration for PHD students.

In order to provide employment opportunities for students, he also plans to emphasise resources such as the volunteer database, the careers service, and the Journal of Postgraduate Research.

Described by the GSU as an exceptionally close race, Hanna won the VP position by three votes.

Speaking to The University Times, he acknowledged the efforts of his opponents, adding that he “would value their advice in the future”.

He also promised that 10% of his salary will go to charity, half to a Trinity student fund and half to the Alzheimer’s Society.