Only the Deals

With Freshers' Week coming to a close, Eleanor O'Mahony brings you the lowdown on only the best deals and discounts societies have to offer for your last minute society shopping list.

It goes without saying that Freshers week is exciting. One can be overwhelmed with the variety of new opportunities that are presented. A new class, peer mentors, peer learning mentors, a new (and what seems to be very big) campus and, of course, a whole new course of study. But what I most loved about Freshers week last year were the societies. The idea that I could take up any activity that I could ever imagine, from Capoeira to Stand-up Comedy, from Gaming to Knitting, was amazing to me. So much so, that I actually went to Freshers week and spent around 60euro on joining societies alone. Although I am a person with many interests, I can’t help but feel that this was a mistake, allbeit a mistake made by many a fresher. How did these societies pull me in? Why, oh why did I join the Yoga Society? (sorry guys) What they don’t tell you before Freshers week is that each and every society offers its own set of discounts as well as goody bags. To me, this was top notch. ‘Wow, everything is so cheap in college!’ I left with roughly ten goody bags, one inside of the other, like Russian dolls, and about 25 membership cards. A happy camper.

This year, I decided to do some research into the deals, discounts and goody bags the societies would be offering during Freshers week. While most of them were very obliging, some of them did not want to disclose some information to me, probably to maintain the surprise factor.

The first thing you need to know is that there are some great deals that every society has, so you should not join a society based on these deals. Join one or two that interest you and you will be bound to have them. These common deals include, 2 for 1 at Wagamama, 2 for 1 in Captain America’s (a very popular college haunt), 10% off Muji stationery and a discounted entry to Somewhere at Workman’s. These deals are probably the ones that saved the most money for me, as main courses in both are, on average, 13euro a pop. This makes going out for dinner very affordable. You may convince yourself that 10% off a certain shop would be life-changing, but let’s face it, unless you’re a regular it probably doesn’t make sense to become a member of a society because you think you are going to go to muji twice weekly for stationery.

For the foodies out there, (who isn’t a foodie in this day and age?) the societies have done well for you guys this year. The burrito wars of Dublin is a recurring theme. I am not a burrito fan, but for those who are, you will soon learn that there are 5 or 6 burrito places in the vicinity of Trinity and that you will have to choose one to remain loyal to. The Hist and the Phil have deals with Burritos and Blues, FilmSoc have a deal with Tuzo, DUGES and TCD Afro Caribbean have an offer for Mama’s revenge and DU Music offer a discount in the Little Ass Burrito Bar to name but a few. One society that I think has done very well on the food front is the Chinese Society, who have offers on 15 restaurants!! They’re not all Chinese restaurants either, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian restaurant deals are also offered.

Frozen yoghurt is also a common deal. Many societies have deals with the ever popular Yogism. The discount is usually 10% off and ‘buy one get one half off’ on a particular day. If, like me, you are a froyo lover this deal will serve you well. The newer frozen yoghurt places, Mooch and Pog also make an appearance on the membership cards this year. The Biological Association offer 50% off a frozen yoghurt or coffee when you buy a salad in Póg froyo.  Members of the Chinese society will have 10% off Mooch froyo, the place opened just beside Lemon. The Pizza Hut deal that comes with membership of Trinity Singers (50% off!) is one of Trinity’s best kept secrets, nothing better than cutting your bill in half. If you like cafes and baked treats DU Dance have a deal with the lovely place, the Queen of Tarts. Players have a great deal with the Mongolian Barbeque: €12 all-you-can-eat stir-fry buffet including bottle of beer, glass of wine or soft drink after 4:30pm, Sunday to Thursday It is really worth noting that the Trinity Ents card features great deals from Crackbird, Skinflint and JoBurger. Every student is entitled to the Ents card, just go up to the Students Union Stand and ask for one!

Societies this year are offering a few discounts on activities. Many societies have a deal with the IFI. This deal gets you 5euro off a year’s membership if you join in September or October and 2 for 1 Mondays. Other societies have deals in the Savoy Cinema, 5euro tickets on particular days. If you want to go out for ice cream before or after the Savo look out for SUAS and SoFIA’s  deal in SUSO ice cream. DUGES have 2 for 1 in Leisureplex Monday to Thursday which sounds like fun. Comedy Soc have great discounts on many Comedy nights such as the Comedy Crunch Club.

If you’re looking for some cheap nights out, The Phil have done very well with discounted or free entry into 7 different clubs. These include Diceys, DTwo, C. U. Next Tuesday and PRHOMO. DU History have deals for the Twisted Pepper and Everleigh Gardens. French Soc have a discount on CollegeNights and the Biological Association have discounts on Signature Events.

There are a lot of societies that thought about their members when securing deals this year. One of which is DUPA, the Photography Association, who offer discounts in Conns Camera on digital printing and John Gunns on Analogue Processing. The Gamers Society have offers with Warchest and Gamers World. The SciFI Society have deals in The R. A. G. E. and the Forbidden Planet. Trinity Entrepreneurial society have very interesting deals, 5GB free dropbox space and a ten euro Hailo voucher when you join up. French Soc have a very appropriate discount in the Alliance Francaise and Film Soc have deals with Filmbase and Laser DVDs.

Goody bags are always nice, especially look out for the coupons in them as some of them are only redeemable in them. Many Boojum Burrito coupons will be handed out as well as other restaurant vouchers. TTV will be doing something different this year. Instead of goody bags, they will be hosting a raffle with prizes of a Game of Thrones tour and an ipod! I remember last year the frenzy of the Players diaries. They gave out Paperblank diaries which would normally cost 20euro. They have not confirmed if they will be giving these out this year but I really hope they do.

I am not condoning joining a society for their deals alone, unless it is a very good deal that will save you more money than it costs to join (usually 2 or 3 euro). Student discounts are great and can make your life a lot easier but be warned…not every deal that looks good is good. Enjoy yourselves this Freshers Week, but hold back from joining every society.