UCCSU has registered nearly 3,000 students to vote

University College Cork Students' Union registered over 1,000 students in the first day of their voter registration campaign

Patrick Lavelle | College Affairs Editor

University College Cork Students’ Union (UCCSU) and UCC LGBT* Society successfully registered over 1,000 students to vote in a single day during a voter registration drive that took place on 30th October. The one-day “Voter Registration Blitz” aimed to ensure that as many UCC students as possible were registered to be able to cast their vote for the same-sex marriage referendum in 2015. Over the course of the following week over 1,000 more UCC students registered, with the overall figure for the campaign just short of 3,000.

Speaking to The University Times, Mark Stanton, President of UCCSU, put the success down to UCC’s “very strong LGBT*Q Society over the years and the organisation of the drive”. He said, “There was a huge amount of work from all involved in getting the message out about how important the Yes to Equality campaign is”. However, he emphasised that this was only “half the battle” and that “next we need them to get out and vote!”

UCCSU’s efforts come as the 25th November deadline to register to vote approaches. Registering after this date involves a variety of added administration difficulties, notably that the form must be signed by a member of an Garda Siochána, making organised voter drives very difficult to successfully pull off.

The news of UCCSU’s successes comes as Trinity College Students Union (TCDSU) is running its own voter registration drive this week. Volunteers are present in the Arts and Hamilton Buildings, the School of Nursing and Midwifery on D’Olier Street and in St. James Hospital to register students from all faculties to vote.

Speaking on the weekend to The University Times, President of TCDSU, Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne, said: “Looking at Cork’s success over the course of just one day, it’s exciting to imagine what we can do over a whole week. I believe the passion and drive is there amongst the community of students in Trinity to really harness our potential in the upcoming referendum. The appetite is there amongst the student body, on a local and national scale, to make sure our voices are heard, we just have to mobilise”.

Photo: UCC Students’ Union