The Festive Fox

The Trinity Fox, resident vulpine correspondent, is here to talk you through some of the best things to do around Dublin at Christmas time.

The Trinity Fox 

Michaelmas term is now winding down. Frost is quietly covering the grass around campus, giving the tarmac a ghostly shimmer (and the cobblestones a dangerous slickness!). The trees are all but bare, and everywhere seems to be adorned with gorgeous twinkly lights, shaking us out of the gloom of dark nights. Your essays and assignments are done or getting there. Time to breathe a sigh of relief. ‘Tis the season, my friends.

I myself have celebrated many holiday seasons around the world, but the ones that I remember most fondly have been spent in Dublin. Those of you who will find yourselves far away from your families, spending the season in this fair city, do not feel homesick. There is so much to do and see at this spectacular time of year. The Trinity Fox is here, as ever, to guide you:

The Trinity Carol Service

A magical event that soothes this old soul every single year. Come, sing (or mumble through the bits you don’t know), and be a part of a wonderful Trinity tradition. This year this event takes place on December 8 at 5.05pm.

Dublin City Christmas Markets

These are a relatively new addition to the Dublin Christmas scene, but a welcome one. Wander through the veritable gauntlet of quaint wooden stalls, sampling mulled wine, and delicious delicacies. Purchase some rough-hewn wooden decorations, or a souvenir to remember this time in Dublin by. There are city markets all around Dublin city – why not try them all? See what you like best, and become something of a connoisseur, like my good self. www.dublinatchristmas.ie

The Quiet Christmas Pint comedy night

Join these hilarious chaps, some of them Trinity alumni, for a night of informal, cheerful comedy in 4 Dame Lane. I have chortled myself into quite a state, my waistcoat in disarray, monocle falling from the bridge of my snout, at these evenings over the years. (https://www.facebook.com/quietpint)

Photograph Your City

The winter season can appear only cold and grey to the uninitiated – take your camera (or your camera phone, I know they are all ‘the rage) and prove them wrong. Capture your favourite part of Dublin, replete in twinkly lights or completely without. Get creative, experiment, fly in the face of convention. As the late Marilyn Monroe told the world, it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Join in!

The good people at the Trinity Global Room have created a Facebook Group aimed at any international students who won’t be returning home for the season. They will be organising events over the period, and highlighting fun things to do about Dublin at the same time. Do get involved. https://www.facebook.com/groups/766560200024708/

But for now, dear friends, it is adieu from the Trinity Fox. I will return in January full of fine food, fine wine, probably a few regrets, and lots of resolutions (these shall be hastily forgotten after a fortnight or so). I urge you all to have a lovely and a peaceful few weeks. Stay safe, eat well, be merry.

You can follow @TheTrinityFox on Twitter for all things Trinity. Share your photos and experiences of life in Dublin and Trinity with him today.