Complacency is Our Greatest Challenge

Paul Behan investigates what societies are doing in order to help bring about a "Yes" vote in the upcoming marriage equality referendum.

Paul Behan | Societies Editor

The year ahead looks set to be a defining chapter of the history for the LGBTQIA community in Ireland. Over the course of the next twelve months the State is set adopt legislation to provide legislation for the legal recognition of transgender identities, as well as legislation to allow for adoption by same sex couples. In addition to this, Ireland is set for a referendum on same-sex marriage this May. The Thirty Fourth Amendment to The Constitution proposed to voters states “Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex.”

So far, polling for has suggested overwhelming support for the idea of marriage equality but recent polling data suggests this position is somewhat more nuanced. A recent Red C poll records support for marriage equality at around 77% and other polling data seems to confirm this level of support. However, when asked if they have any reservations about same sex marriage, only 41% of voters are sure they definitely plan to support the referendum. Almost half of voters still hold reservations on marriage equality and this poses a massive threat to the passing of the marriage equality referendum.

With this backdrop in mind, we took a look at how Trinity LGBT (aka Q Soc) is planning to ensure a Yes vote this May. Societies are often limited to apolitical activity to ensure that they’re a welcoming place for all types of students. Certain societies can and do campaign on political issues because doing so is necessary to fulfil their core aims. Q Soc was founded to provide safe space for LGBTQ students and to campaign for LGBTQ equality.

Q Soc began working towards marriage equality with their voter registration drive, in association with TCDSU. Auditor Robert Milling told The University Times that “This year we’ve collaborated closely with the SU and LGBTRO, Damien McClean, for the ‘Register to Vote’ campaign, working with Yes Equality, and eventually managing to register over 3,000 people to vote in Trinity alone.” He added that “as the referendum gets closer and closer we aim to hold workshops on how to talk to and engage people about the issue, hold more registration drives as well as have information sessions on how people can get more involved and why marriage equality is something we need to support.”

Speaking to The University Times, Muireann Montague, the Q Soc Liaison Officer, spoke about the society’s plans going forward. “We know in Trinity that the student body are in favour of marriage equality. Our main concern now is complacency. Trinity is a bubble of diversity and acceptance, which is great for our students, but I think we then forget that not everywhere in Ireland is like Trinity.” To combat this, the society is working on two campaigns, along with TCDSU. The first is a video starring a few groups of friends. “We want to highlight their loving relationships to show the importance of marriage equality, and what it means for their future”, Montague stated. The aim of the video is to remind students that there are people behind this referendum, someone they may even know, and to encourage them to get out there and vote on the day.

The second is the SU led “Ring Your Granny” campaign, which operates off the premise that more people are likely to vote yes if someone addresses the issue with them, or if they know someone who identifies as LGBTQ. This is particularly focused on older generations and individuals who have had limited interaction with LGBTQ issues, but who may be related to LGBTQ people, or people who feel passionately about LGBTQ issues.

All in all, the society seems to be utilising new media in order to get their message across, and attempting to bridge the generational gap in the issues, using the student body to appeal to wider society. At this point in time, no societies appear to be campaigning for a “No” vote, butn Montague sums it all up in one sentence. “Complacency is our greatest challenge”.