Welcome Back to Trinity

The Trinity Fox welcomes you back to Trinity this new term.

To quote the mighty Dumbledore – his name derived from the Old English word for ‘bumblebee’ for those who don’t know -, ‘to our new students, welcome. To our old students, welcome back’. To all students and staff I wish many happy returns for 2015.

As we embark once again on this wild adventure we call an education here at Trinity, it is important to know and to be reminded of the many different ways all students can get involved in Ireland’s oldest and, let’s face it, best university.

Societies

There are over 200 student societies and sporting societies affiliated with Trinity College Dublin. There is one for almost every interest you can fathom, except maybe the fine art of ‘Frolf’, which, as I understand it, is Frisbee mixed with Golf. Perhaps the Chairs of the Golf Soc and the Frisbee Soc should get together to think this one out.

Whatever you’re interested in, getting involved with a society is a fantastic way to experience Trinity in a different way, to make friends, and to challenge yourself.

For anyone looking to have a nose around at what’s on offer and to sign up to some societies, come along to The Global Room (Watt Building), 21 January, 11am – 3pm.

The Global Room

This brings me gently and easily to my next point. The Trinity Global Room is a veritable treasure nestled right here on campus. Sitting in the Watt Building right next to Academic Registry, the Global Room is a fantastic student space. It has a whole wall of televisions, where students gifted with knowledge of languages other than English can listen to the news and watch television in a myriad of different languages. It also plays host to a wonderful array of events throughout the year.

The Global Room is also a fantastic resource for visiting and Erasmus students who are brand new to Trinity. The Global Room is staffed by some of our student ambassadors, and these ambassadors are from all over the world, and can help and assist with questions about Dublin life and settling in to Trinity, among other things.

Email: [email protected]

Student Services

We all have moments of anxiety, stress, and upset, and dealing with everything solo is never easy. To that end, Trinity has a wide variety of supremely excellent student services aimed at helping with whatever it is that’s worrying or bothering you. Confidential, discrete and completely free-of-charge, you can have a look at the list of services available to all students here:

http://www.tcd.ie/dean_students/student-services/

Details on Student Counselling specifically can be found here:

http://www.tcd.ie/Student_Counselling/

For now, I would like to wish you all the happiest of new years. May you age like fine wine, bounce back like fresh bread, and, like grapes, find yourself often in the company of delicious cheeses.

As ever, I can be reached on Twitter: @TheTrinityFox