Inaugral Hack Day Starts On Campus

Trinity Entrepreneurial Society and DU Computer Science Society have started the very first Hack Day on campus.

Samuel Riggs | Editor

Today, students have gathered in the TCD Global Room for the very first TCD Hack Day. Organised by Trinity Entrepreneurial Society (TES) and DU Computer Science Society (DUCSS), the day-long event aims to give students the opportunity to construct and design realistic business concepts. The goal of the day is to encourage students of technology and students of business to work together, and to bring about an air of co-operation for those interested in starting businesses in the tech industry.

With over 1,500 members, TES is the largest business and careers society in Trinity, and is known for the organisation of the Dragons’ Den competition and the TES Talks series. Paddy Cosgrave, Mark little and Ray Nolan are notable guests at their events. DUCSS aims to further interest in technology via the computerised sciences, and is known for its annual LAN Parties.

The theme of the Hack Day this year is “encouraging healthy living amongst young people”, and the day itself is sponsored by Tata Consultancy Services and the Web Summit. On the event, Peter Gillen, the President of TES and SS Business and Economics student, stated that “technology students will work on producing either a website, physical product, app or other platform. Their business counterparts will work in tandem, developing a marketing and financial driven business pitch, which will be presented to the judges at the end of the day.” The ultimate prize for the day is a €1,000 prize fund for a team of four students to further their business idea.