Three Questions: Ents Candidates

The UT Election Coverage team have come up with three questions for this year's Ents candidates – we invite them to respond below.

Katie Cogan

1. In a recent interview, you said that the “Ents adventure” – which would divide people up into groups of 40 for a mystery weekend based on their assessed personality types – would cost around €100, then €70, then lower. Have you given any proper thought to the subject at all in terms of structure, pricing and funding?

2. Despite agreeing that binge drinking culture needs to be stopped, you also proclaimed that everyone’s “favourite part of a night out” is “recovery” food to “piece it all back together” while “[hiding] behind a giant croissant”. If you support sensible drinking, why do you link big events to subsequent hangovers?

3. Your distinction between entertaining students and marketing events to them is an astute one. It’s based on feedback, which your manifesto talks up a lot – how do you propose to solicit feedback from party-goers, and how do you incorporate it meaningfully?

10960345_1408302372798453_596563632953762866_o

David Gray

1. With student supports drying up and no signs of improvement to struggling academic facilities, do you think it is a conscientious idea to spend thousands of euro on “a creative space” for student bands?

2. Is Christian Grey, the character that you invoke in your materials, a misogynist?

3. You want to revamp the “Ents night”. This is hardly a new current of thought in candidate manifestos – could it be that student society socials and JCR Halls nights are too popular to allow for weekly Ents events?

Conor Parle

1. You propose a designated Ents budget for weekly society events. What’s the logic in paying from SU funds for what the CSC already pays for?

2. What precisely are the practical objectives of a “student innovation fund”, and why is it a matter for entertainments?

3. Your manifesto addresses a number of subjects and puts forward a number of ideas, but none are addressed with particular depth or insight as to their achievability. Where’s the logic in this?