Mythfest Bursts into Trinity’s Gardens

DU Players's second annual festival of folklore and mythology began today, and runs until Sunday.

Nadine Flynn and Will Dunleavy

Homer’s Odyssey – 1pm, Rose Garden, every day until Sunday

Mythfest’s The Unquiet Hour, a Human Portrayal of the Divide Between Worlds

The second show in this year’s Mythfest is Homer’s Odyssey, directed by Ian Lynam and Annie Keegan. Although the main focus for the festival is Irish folklore, it is not shy of international mythology and this is conveyed through this Greek Tale. Homer’s Odyssey, originally 24 episodes long, is compressed by Players into a hilarious 30 minute performance – and here we see it like never before. This performance echoes the values of the festival, intertwining ancient tales with the contemporary world. With subtle pop culture references and a colloquial twang, this piece fits right into the now, making it all the more enjoyable for its modern audience.

The performance itself is set in Trinity’s intimate Rose Garden. This small space is the perfect setting for this piece, as it keeps us close enough to the action that we can become active spectators and it helps establish a playful, relaxed tone and atmosphere, which is what Mythfest is all about.

Mythfest takes theatre back to its most basic theatrical devices, using the same actors for multiple roles, handmade stage props and open spaces. Although this is a risky move, Players definitely succeeded in this form of theatre, as again, it simply adds to the wonderful atmosphere that they, as a festival have embodied. Homer’s Odyssey is full of spray-painted crowns, cardboard swords and handmade robes, making the piece in itself more metatheatrical. The metatheatricality is also established through our very own, Homer. Homer acts as a narrator and an arc between the real world of the story and the make-believe world. He also acts as a comic relief, constantly pulling the audience in and out of this fascinating tale.

All in all, Homer’s Odyssey is definitely one of the highlights of this year’s Mythfest, and is worth seeing. It is hilarious, cosy, relaxed and plenty of fun and guarantees an experience to be remembered.

Ahoy! Tales of Piracy – 2pm, Botany Garden, every day until Sunday

Ahoy! Tales of Piracy, written and directed by Iannis Barron and Aoife Meagher, is one of Mythfest’s more playful pieces. As we all know, pirates have always been a poignant feature in mythology both nationally and internationally and these figures embody the image which the festival strives to portray.

The story consists of five captain-less pirates who share their tales of bravery and voyage in order to prove themselves worthy enough to replace the legendary Blackbeard, their deceased captain. These characters represent classic Irish figures, such as Grace O’Malley, Queen of the pirates, and Anne Bonnie. Each tale is unique and illustrates the complexities of these comic characters, giving them their own story within a story. The stories range from tales of loss to love, keeping the audience engaged and entertained throughout.

This piece was not only entertaining in its humour, but the fast-paced dialogue ensured that the audience was constantly on their toes in anticipation of what was to come next. The dialogue was snappy and echoed an enthralling melody that is difficult to detach from the piece itself. The pirate’s monologues were accompanied by nautical-style musical numbers, performed by the actors themselves. The skill and precision involved in this was apparent, and certainly paid off. As previously mentioned, this piece was definitely one of the most playful. The performance was welcoming of all ages and created a comfortable, enjoyable atmosphere for its audience. Ahoy! Tales of Piracy is definitely one to watch out for.

Burning Bright – 4pm, Physics Garden, every day until Sunday

Burning Bright, directed by Ursula McGinn and Sorcha Ni Fhloinn and devised by the cast of four, burst into the Physics Garden this afternoon in a breathless and colourful blur. This 25-minute devised piece concerns three graduating students of “Star School” as they prepare to sit their SITTs (Star In Training Tests, for those of you less in the know). Led by their teacher – a warm Leo Hanna – they must complete a variety of gruelling tasks in order to become fully fledged stars.

The action takes place at four different locations around the garden, and the actors shoot from place to place at regular intervals as the audience trail them with only slightly less alacrity. The play is separated very simply into four sections which allows each star a moment in the spotlight – or starlight, as it were. This division keeps the play moving very briskly, and it is a testament to McGinn and Ní Fhloinn’s enthusiastic direction that this energetic show proves to be endearing rather than wearing.

As only the headline show in Mythfest receives a budget, the costumes are simple but effective. The abundance of props featured about the garden are also used to great effect. Particularly good is a sequence in which the stars arrange the planets in our solar system. Paraic McLean leads this exercise with a sincerity that is disarmingly sweet.

While the monologues delivered by each of the four stars are mostly predictable, they deliver simple lessons reminiscent of less didactic Disney films. Of particular note is the monologue delivered by a hilariously aggressive Grace Morgan who shows a moment of genuine tenderness in her solo. Ellen Corby provides a humorous counterpoint to this in her touching monologue. The material is appropriate for all ages, and is especially suited to children who will probably enjoy the audience interaction and breathless feel of the production.

Burning Bright is an enthusiastic, family-friendly show which will be bouncing around Trinity’s Physics Garden at 4pm every day until Sunday.

See also: Mythfest’s The Unquiet Hour, a Human Portrayal of the Divide between Worlds

Mythfest runs until Sunday, June 7th. All performances, except one, take place outdoors and, with the exception of the headline show, are free to the public.

Photos by Edmund Heaphy for The University Times