Med Day Sees Medicine Students Raise €52,000

The annual event, which this year raised funds mainly for St James’s Hospital and Tallaght Hospital, saw an increase in last year's total by €6,000.

Jack HartnettDeputy News Editor

The annual fundraising event run by Trinity College medical students, Med Day, this year raised  over €52,000 exceeding last year’s total of €46,000.

The event, which exceeded its target of €50,000, included an Arctic Monkeys tribute concert and an annual football tournament. Approximately €38,000 of the total sum was raised on Med Day itself, which took place on November 6th, and involved medicine students engaging in fundraising activities across campus and across Dublin.

The two main beneficiaries are the Target Lung Cancer Foundation in St. James’s Hospital and the purchase of a power Doppler ultrasound machine for the diagnosis of arthritis at the Rheumatology Department in Tallaght Hospital, each of which will receive €20,000. Some of the funds will also be used to support the renovation of a family room in the Acute Medical Unit at Tallaght Hospital and also for the acquisition of a cough assistance machine in the National Rehabilitation Hospital.

Speaking to The University Times, Eimear Duff, chairperson of Med Day, said: “Med Day raises funds for tangible projects in a grassroots way. I think students enter medicine with a certain idealism about creating positive change, and Med Day is an expression of this and is a cause we are collectively very passionate about. We hope that Med Day will continue to grow and innovate to serve patients for many years to come.”

Since its foundation thirteen years ago, Med Day raised over €500,000 and become an annual event in the College calendar. On Med Day, all lectures are cancelled, so that medical students can fundraise across Dublin, with students raising money in a variety of ways, including busking and organising bake-sales.

Duff attributed the success of Med Day to the committee, the students and the donations of the general public: “The committee exhibited incredible levels of enthusiasm and professionalism and did tireless behind the scenes work. Thanks to them, all our volunteers, and the public’s generosity, we exceeded last year’s impressive total.”

Reacting to the announcement of the total figure, a spokesperson for Tallaght Hospital said “Thank you again to everyone who contributed to the collection and to you the students for your energy, enthusiasm and effort in running such a programme.”