DUFC Head Coach, Tony Smeeth, Honoured at Rugby Writers of Ireland Awards

Trinity Rugby’s Head Coach, Tony Smeeth, was last night awarded the ‘Tom Rooney Award’ for services to rugby at the Guinness Rugby Writers of Ireland Awards .

Alex PetersAssistant Sports Editor
Irish Rugby

Tony Smeeth, the head coach of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC), Trinity’s rugby club, last night received the Tom Rooney Award for Services to Rugby, at the Guinness Rugby Writers of Ireland Awards last night.

Oliver Loomes and Rory Sheridan of Guinness, RTE’s Damien O’Meara and Irish Times rugby journalist and Chairman of the Rugby Writers of Ireland, Gerry Thornley, hosted the evening, which is an annual event attracting the leading the lights of the game in Ireland.

Smeeth is in his 18th season with DUFC, having come to the club in 1998, following three years as senior rugby coach at Blackrock College, and is often credited for revolutionising Trinity’s club during his tenure.

The Englishman holds a Stage Five Irish Rugby Board (IRB) qualification, the highest coaching qualification an Irish coach is able to achieve. He has extensive experience of coaching from years spent in the US, where he spent 10 years living and coaching in Seattle, where he also coached the USA under-19 side. He has also served time as the USA Senior Eagles Backs and Attack coach.

Trinity Rugby’s first team are currently flying high in fourth position in the Ulster Bank League, having been overtaken in the table following their weekend defeat to the Cork side Cork Constitutional. The result left the side with five wins from their first eight games, an impressive total for the club following their promotion to the first division last season.

Other notable awards on the night included the naming of Munster back-row CJ Stander as Guinness Rugby Writers of Ireland Player of the year. Unsurprisingly, Connacht were honoured for their historic season by being named the “Dave Guiney” Team of the Year. The women’s player of the year award was given to Sene Naoupu, who plays an integral role in both the Ireland Women’s National side as well as it’s sevens team. The Ulster Bank League Champions, Clontarf, were also were honoured, receiving the club of the year award.