With Creativity and Charm, all Superhero Films Should Look Like Doctor Strange

The film, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, must go down as one of Marvel's best superhero films.

Naman MittalContributing Writer

Granted, Doctor Strange isn’t one of Marvel’s very best efforts. That said, it’s still a very entertaining first venture for Marvel into an unknown territory, which introduces magic to the Marvel cinematic universe. It’s very different, it’s very strange and unlike anything Marvel has done in the past and is the most self-contained film of the universe. It’s not as powerful and enjoyable as Captain America: Civil War or as wild as Guardians of the Galaxy, but it was still very entertaining with visuals that are splendid and utterly original in terms of creativity and technique in comparison with other Marvel offerings. This can’t, however, make up for a slightly weak script.

Stephen Strange, aka Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), the world’s top neurosurgeon, is injured in a car accident that ruins his career, which ticks the “obstacle” box in classic screenwriting. He sets out on a journey of healing where he encounters the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton), who mentors and teaches Strange the mystic arts. Together with Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a student of the ancient one, and Wong (Benedict Wong) a master of the mystic arts, they must stop Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen), one of the masters and former student of the Ancient One who forms his own sect in an attempt to end the world.

This is a very good introduction to the character of Strange, and Cumberbatch plays it with so much of his characteristic energy and enthusiasm he really owns the character. As a man of science, it is very difficult for him to accept magic, as it is for the audience, reared as we are on the hallmark mechanical theatrics of Captain America and Iron Man. But you have to commend director Scott Derrickson here as he takes magic and almost makes it believable. Although there are numerous flaws in the script the movie is never boring, though some scenes with Rachel McAdams’s character could have been cut from the movie and it wouldn’t have made any difference. The romance between Strange and McAdam’s character Christine seems forced, as there is no apparent chemistry between the two. This, unfortunately, can’t be magicked into being.

Hands down, the banter between Strange and Kaecilius, when they meet for the very first time, is the funniest moment in the film. Mikkelsen tries to play his character in a very Hannibal way, and though he is amazing here, the script doesn’t allow him to be anything more than just a one-dimensional villain. Swinton is terrific, as is Ejiofor, both playing their parts very well. McAdams doesn’t have a lot to do here and her talent is certainly wasted by an empty script. This is disappointing compared to past Marvel movies, where Gwyneth Paltrow as Iron Man’s love interest and Natalie Portman as Thor’s played roles that were essential to the story in some way.

Without a doubt, the fight sequences and special effects are the very best Marvel has ever done and I would totally recommend watching this in IMAX 3D. The final battle must go down as one of the best sequences ever in a superhero movie and these special effects are what makes Doctor Strange such an entertaining movie.

Although the script suffers here and there, this is Marvel’s very sincere effort to bring the sorcerer supreme to big screen. The trippy visuals, fun on-screen banter, and Cumberbatch’s great performance make it a spectacle worth watching. Regardless of the plot flaws, this is how visual effects should be in a blockbuster movie.