News Focus

With Med Day, Trinity Medical Students to Raise Critical Funds to Help Meet Basic Hospital Needs

The annual fundraising event run by Trinity’s medical students takes place tomorrow.

Jamie SugrueScience & Research Correspondent
Med Day 2015 was launched on campus by then-Minister for Health, Leo Varadkar.

Seeking to raise essential funds for the hospitals in which they students train, Med Day, the annual fundraising event run by Trinity’s medical students takes place next Friday, November 4th. The fundraiser, launched last week by Minister for Health, Simon Harris, has raised over €550,000 for its beneficiaries over the last 14 years.

In an interview with The University Times, Med Day chairperson, Ailish Naughton, spoke about how Med Day participation amongst undergraduates has become somewhat of a “rite of passage” with nearly 600 medical students participating every year.

Founded in 2002 with the intention to “give back” to the hospitals that Trinity medical students train in, Med Day has helped support many needed projects in their partner institutions. The most worthwhile causes are determined following an application process which sees 30 or so institutions put forward projects for consideration by the Med Day committee. While all cases put forward are undoubtedly deserving, only four projects are selected each year. Two major beneficiaries are chosen and receive €20,000 each for their respective projects, and two minor beneficiaries receive €5,000 each.

This year’s major beneficiaries include the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in St James’s Hospital and the Oncology Unit in Tallaght Hospital. The money raised for the ICU will be used to replace electric beds required for transport of acutely ill and immobile patients. The beds used currently are so old that the parts required to fix them are no longer available.

The funds raised for the Oncology Unit in Tallaght will go towards reconfiguring current facilities in order to improve current toilet spaces for patients. As it stands, patients are left queuing for toilet facilities in busy corridors while suffering from symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

This year’s minor beneficiaries are the Vascular Unit and Physiotherapy Department in St James’s Hospital. New equipment, important for patient rehabilitation, will be bought for the Physiotherapy Department and 24-hour blood pressure monitors and pedometers will be bought for the Vascular Unit.

While the results of the funding are tangible and will impact greatly on patients, that Med Day funding is required to meet basic patient needs like hospital beds and bathrooms highlights the poor current state of the healthcare system.

Last year’s Med Day beneficiaries included the Lung Cancer Biobank in St James’s, the Rheumatology clinic in Tallaght Hospital, the National Rehabilitation Hospital and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.

With Med Day sponsors, costs of buckets and t-shirts on the day are covered, meaning all funds raised go to the Med Day beneficiaries.

Since the launch, a series of anecdotal posts on the Med Day Facebook page have illustrated the dire need for funding by their chosen beneficiaries. Patient experiences broadcast on the Facebook page demonstrate how the Physiotherapy Department in St James’s has helped countless people regain full mobility following debilitating injury.

While the vast majority of money raised comes from the bucket collections that take place on the day itself, a number of events planned prior to the day also contribute. Last year a total of €52,000 was raised, with €37,000 of that coming from bucket collections on the day. Other fundraisers that have been held to date include a “Battle of the Health Sciences Night”, a table quiz and a dodgeball tournament. An alumni art exhibition will also take place next Thursday night. The exhibition, entitled “Old Anatomy”, by Jason Ellis will be open for a private viewing by Trinity’s medical community with a collection for Med Day taking place on the night.

Bucket collections will be taking place on campus and surrounding areas on Friday, November 4th. Text MED to 50300 to donate €2.