Presenting a Collected and Professional Sound, MITCH Set to Play Workmans

To celebrate the launch of their new EP, Hot Singles, the Dublin-based group will play Workmans tomorrow night.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinDeputy Music Editor

MITCH are a Dublin-based band, hailing from four corners of the country. They assembled last year when Jack O’Flatherty and Andrew Smyth met on the production of a show that both were involved in. It was not long before the pair realised that they both had a passion for the art of music, and really hit it off. Since this initial formation, they have been joined by James McDonald and Keith Farrell. The group’s relaxed approach to their work ensures that they are taking things as they come.

Speaking to The University Times, O’Flatherty notes that “It’s been about a year in the process. Last January I was still in DCU, and met Andrew [Smyth] on a show in the Helix. We started kind of writing and playing then in the evenings just having the craic. We spent the whole summer then writing and getting stuff together and brought the single out then at the start of November, that was ‘Otherway’.”

Since then, MITCH’s main focus has been working on their EP Hot Singles: “It took a while because we wanted everything to be perfect. We needed to make sure everything was good enough”, Smyth tells me. Music and performing is something held dear by both O’Flatherty and Smyth, but most commendable about MITCH is their drive, motivation and talent that is notably beyond their years.

While hoping to make things happen for the band, the two agree that they don’t want to feel pressured or constrained. O’Flatherty comments: “We’re kind of doing our own thing. We have goals that we want to reach, yeah we’d love to play to as many people as possible but for us its really just about getting out there and playing music, meeting people and seeing how they react to it. We’re supporting a Derry band called One Man Town on the 8th of February, looking forward to that. We’ve a good few more gigs coming up down the country also.” Smyth then further notes that “we want to do this because it’s fun. Yeah it’s a good laugh, but we also want to seriously do it. It’s what we love doing”.

Bringing a sound that is unique, collected and professional to local venues across the country, there is something special about MITCH that many young bands fail to present. While making this kind of music takes a great deal of bravery and dedication, it equally takes incredible talent that is none the lacking among the four. Their realistic outlook at what they do leaves room for much hope for the band’s success.

MITCH will play on Tuesday February 7th in The Workman’s Club, Dublin.