Queer Careers Network and the Phil To Discuss Trans Inclusion in the Workplace

Bryan Rohan, founder of the Queer Careers Network, speaks of his ongoing plans for the group.

Fionnuala EganSocieties Editor

Bryan Rohan, a fourth-year philosophy, political science, economics and sociology (PPES) student majoring in economics, came up with the idea for Queer Careers Network over the summer, with the aim of making students aware of the inclusive policies which already exist in firms as well as encouraging companies to improve their standards. On a personal level, he found that media representations of gay men are wholly restrictive, as they never seemed to depict gay men who excelled in academics. The idea for Queer Careers Network offered LGBTI students the opportunity to see past this skewed representation in the media, and instead informed them of the vast numbers of opportunities that were available to them.

Last Tuesday, Queer Careers Network teamed up with Trinity’s Law Society (Law Soc) to host a successful careers networking event with firms that have been recognised as Gay Lesbian Equality Network (GLEN) Diversity Champions for their LGBTI-inclusive employment policies. GLEN is an NGO that hopes to deliver ambitious and positive change for members of the LGBTI community in Ireland. PwC, EY, Arthur Cox, Eversheds, Ulster Bank, Accenture, Amazon, Google and Trinity itself were all represented at the event, making it appealing for students of all disciplines.

The event required an enormous amount of organisation. It was Rohan’s first time organising an event in any capacity and he said he does “genuinely believe this wouldn’t have happened without Law Soc’s help”. They were there to assist with all kinds of minor details, from writing emails to booking the venue, and Rohan says it was so nice to work closely with them.

The first hour of the event featured one speaker from each company taking about five minutes to discuss graduate roles and internships, as well as how they have actually imposed inclusivity policies. Rohan stresses the disparity between accepting and embracing LGBT employees. He said that this “need to embrace and support” them was the general theme of the night. Companies talked about their involvement with Pride and internal events they hold. He liked that they “highlighted actual inclusivity” rather than just using buzzwords.

The second hour consisted of a drinks reception which allowed attendees to chat with the representatives of firms. Rohan said that networking events often feel very formal. This one was different – a lot of attendees commented that it felt “very human” as it focused on hearing personal stories which can often be lost to buzzwords. Some attendees even said they would have ruled out working in corporations and that this event had made them reconsider, or even consider, careers of this nature for the first time.

“It’s been productive on both ends”, Rohan commented, citing the example of one firm who were inspired to set up their own LGBTI network and asked to be put in contact with another firm who had an impressive model. Other firms said they were happy to be involved with upcoming Queer Career Network events. “It’s all been really positive, which is really good”, Rohan remarked.

Queer Careers Network has more plans in store. Today at 1pm, they will be teaming up with the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) to hold a discussion surrounding trans inclusion in the workplace. The event will feature prominent activist Philippa Ryder and will take the form of a presentation followed by a Q&A session. Rohan also said that he would love to do an LGBTI entrepreneurship event, which he thinks would work well as a panel discussion. He would like to host something to do with journalism and writing and is also considering something related to politics.

Jane D’Altuin is in charge of monitoring and maintaining their Facebook page, which has already racked up over 350 likes. Rohan mentioned how much he appreciated support from his friends and how “strange but great” it was to see that people he didn’t know had also liked the page. He also praised D’Altuin, who he sees as having been instrumental in getting the word out there and in helping out with events generally.

Rohan said that he has felt very welcome at Trinity. He has never felt judged or as if being gay is some “big ordeal”. He said that people often criticised Trinity for being a “liberal bubble” but that “it’s nice to not have to worry about the way you’re walking or talking… to extend that bubble doesn’t do harm to anyone”. Similarly, he is positive about Rainbow Week. He acknowledged that every LGBTI experience is different but sees criticisms of these kind of events as “bizarre”. Some people suggest these weeks aren’t needed any more but there is always progress to be made. Finally, Rohan sees the week as “super important as a reminder that, even if as an LGBTI person you feel like things are okay now, they haven’t always been that great. So it’s good to celebrate, in that sense”.