Varied Speakers at Christian Union Highlight the Diversity of the Small Society

Christian Union discusses forgiveness, second chances and reflection as its annual events week draws to a close.

Katty GarciaContributing Writer
John Hutchinson stood at the front of the room and began his narration of how Jesus transformed his life for the best at the worst time

Let’s be honest: food is one of the most successful ways to attract people to all sorts of events, especially when it’s free. Although that is what Trinity’s Christian Union has been offering throughout this (deliciously) varied annual events week, it has not been the only thing provided.

Thursday night saw another of Christian Union’s guest speakers visiting to punctuate the small society’s week of varied events. The College Historical Society’s (the Hist) Conversation Room hosted about 100 attendees, many of which did not get the opportunity to sit comfortably on the couches or chairs available in the room and had to sit on the floor. I sat on an armrest myself due to the lack of seating and space, a clear indication of the interest in this particular evening. But I did not mind, and I’m certain most of the others didn’t either. We were all enjoying the wonderful company, the cosy atmosphere and, of course, the sweets, tea and coffee.

At about 8pm, the first speaker was introduced. John Hutchinson stood at the front of the room and began his narration of how Jesus transformed his life for the best at the worst time. The former paramilitary’s story urged the audience to reflect upon the consequences of our decisions in life, and how the grace of God can help us through them.

After a short break (for more desserts), Mark Smith engaged us by presenting the story of Lazarus as written in the gospel of John, a story of sadness and loss turned into one of hope that transcended towards eternity. This fascinating account further emphasised the message previously conveyed by the first speaker, as it stressed upon Jesus’s sympathy with people’s suffering, and his power and might by which he brought Lazarus back to life.

Applauses and big smiles followed the end of Smith’s speech, indicating the end of the event as a whole, but still we continued to enjoy each other’s company for a little longer. The atmosphere was pleasant and reflected the diversity of the members and supporters of this society who always welcome and value everyone no matter their age, background, nationality, course or interests. This sentiment has been clear throughout Christian Union’s events week, where students with no prior exposure to the society have been given the opportunity to taste what they have on offer. A comfortable, safe space is provided to members to talk and exchange with other like minded, and maybe not so like minded, people.

After an undoubtedly successful week of events and speakers, Christian Union has proven itself as one of Trinity’s most consistent small societies. Its impressive calendar for this past week competed against the many other Raise and Giving (RAG) Week-related events and has strived.