Inter-Varsity Slam and Poetry Ireland Come To Create Unique Poetry Competition for Irish Students

The world of student poetry will reach its competitive peak at next week's poetry slam which brings together students from all over Ireland.

Kelly Meehan BrownLiterature Editor

The partnership of Inter-Varsity Slam and Poetry Ireland will bring you a unique and all-encompassing event that brings together performers from nine different colleges around Ireland on March 29th. Battling it out for the top prize of undisputed glory for your college and the celebration of poetry itself, this event will not be one to miss.

Held in the National College of Art and Design (NCAD), Poetry Ireland encourages newcomers to attend, promising the perfect atmosphere to experience a poetry slam for the first time. Owing to the wide variety of colleges that will be present from all over the country, the spectrum of talent promises to be vast.

Intervarsity Slam is both a free and a BYOB event, with this aiming to encourage students and people with an interest and love for poetry to get involved. Inter-Varsity Slam hopes to create and stimulate a community of spoken word between different colleges, something that Dublin city often lacks.

This event will see top poets from many colleges such as NCAD, the Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT), Trinity, University College Dublin (UCD), Maynooth University, the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland (RSCI), Dublin City University (DCU), NUI Galway and Queen’s University Belfast. Each college has held a previous round to determine their champion poet, and these colleges will be represented by the chosen students on March 29th, who will then battle it out for the top spot.

There are two finalists representing each university. Brian MacMahon Gallagher and Chris Joyce will be the Trinity representatives. NCAD will be represented by Eimhin Farrell and Léigh Ní Chathasaigh. Mel Kavanagh and Zainab Boladale will hold the torch for DCU, while Patrick Clark and Phoebe Brigginshaw represent Queen’s. The remainder of contestants have yet to be decided.

This promises to be an exciting, competitive night that will encourage poetic expression between colleges throughout the country.

The event will take place on Wednesday, March 29th at 6pm in NCAD. Tickets are free.