Women’s Gaelic Footballers Lose Out in Bruising Semi-Final Against AIT

A clear day saw Trinity GAA Women’s Footballers suffer a tough defeat, 2-13 to 1-11, at the hands of Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) on Saturday, narrowly missing out on a place in the Giles Cup final on Sunday.

Jenna Clarke-MolloyJunior Editor
Sam McAllister for The University Times

Trinity did not get off to the best of starts on Saturday afternoon, with AIT missing an early free before scoring two points in quick succession. Trinity’s Captain Aisling Reynolds responded with another point, to which AIT gave a rapid reply in turn. Amy Conroy was unfortunate to miss out on a sure goal, with the keeper showing great speed to get to the ball just ahead of her and clear the danger. Sarah McCaffrey then scored a point from play, before AIT retaliated from a free. Trinity then had a good run, scoring three points in quick succession from play, followed by a further point from a free. AIT then scored two more points, before securing a goal just before half time, despite an impressive performance from Trinity’s goalkeeper Aisling Ní Bhroin. At the break, Trinity were behind by just two points, with the scores 1-6 to 0-7 to AIT.

The Athlone side got off to a strong start in the second half, missing and then scoring a point within the first few minutes. Giving Trinity a boost of confidence, Anna McHugh scored a goal to put her side back in the game. Trinity and AIT then scored a point each, before play was disrupted for twenty minutes due to Trinity’s Roisin Boyce suffering a neck injury and having to be stretchered off. The injury was a consequence of the bruising, confrontational style AIT brought to the game. The team continued to dominate the second half when play recommenced, scoring two points and another goal before Trinity responded with two points from frees. Despite an impressive performance from the whole team, Trinity could not catch AIT at this stage, with AIT scoring a further two points before one last point from each team before the whistle, making the final score AIT 2-13, TCD 1-11.

Speaking to The University Times, Trinity’s half-back, Áine Haberlin, expressed the team’s disappointment on missing out on the final. “I think our heads dropped down seeing Roisin stretchered off and stuff”, she admitted, “So I think that was a factor, but they were the better team on the day. It was just hard to lose, we had expectations of getting to the final on Sunday, we had our bags packed and everything ready, to hopefully meet [Dublin City University’s] 2nd’s, but it didn’t work out, so we’ll see.”

Substitute Ruth Shaw was very blunt in her comments about the physical nature of their opponents, commenting: “They were dirty, they kept fouling [us]. Every time Aisling Reynolds had the ball they had three players around her fouling her.”

Half forward Ailbhe Finnerty commented on the disappointing nature of the defeat: “We beat [AIT] in the league before and then we beat them in the Championship, so we kind of had expectations that we could have won. It was easier for them to come in because they were underdogs, so they brought their A game and were really well drilled. I think a huge factor in us losing was Roisin Boyce getting injured and having to be stretchered off, and the huge break in play.”

Despite the disappointing end to the season, the team can be very pleased with the progress they have made this year and enjoyed the pitch opening ceremony at Santry along with the rest of the GAA club.