A Spring Showcase, Nick Clegg and Irvine Welsh: Your Week Ahead

As campus gears up for Trinity Ball this Friday, there are a number of societies hosting events this week to keep you out of the library.

Grace MeagherDeputy Societies Editor

With term wrapping up and suspense for Trinity Ball continuing to grow, many societies are finishing up their social calendars with some final events this week.

Trinity Literary Society (Lit Soc) will be hosting their last Literary Lock-In of the year in the University Philosophical Society’s (the Phil) conversation room on Monday, providing a break from hours in the library and intense essay writing. Join the society for a relaxed but productive creative writing session from 7pm.

Rob Greenfield, creator of the Food Waste Fiasco campaign, will be visiting the Environmental Society as part of his Europe-wide tour. Greenfield will host a discussion on how to live a more sustainable life by making simple and positive changes. His campaign aims to end food waste and hunger in the US. DU Computer Science Society (DUCSS) and DU Internet Society (Net Soc) will also be having an end of year pub quiz in Gingerman at 7pm.

Tuesday will see DU Dance present their Spring Showcase in Players Theatre at 9pm. Their extremely successful intervarsity teams will be showcasing their award-winning performances straight from the Galway competition. The evening is open to everyone and admission is free to enjoy jazz, hip-hop and Irish dance performances.

If you’re in need of a laugh during this stressful week, DU Comedy has you covered with their €2 Farewell Gig in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) at 8.15pm. They’ll be saying goodbye to some of the society’s veterans and provide a final opportunity to see these undergraduates in their comedic element. DU Quiz will also be hosting their final quiz of the year in Sweetman’s at 7pm. The general knowledge quiz will test you on a wide range of subjects, unlikely to be relevant to anything you’ll be examined on soon. With creative prizes promised, this will be a great bit of escapism before term ends.

The College Historical Society (the Hist) will present Nick Clegg with the society’s Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Discourse on Wednesday. Clegg, a British politician, served as Deputy Prime Minister of the UK up until 2015 and he will deliver a talk entitled: “Brexit and Beyond: Future Challenges for the UK and Ireland”. With this being an alarmingly current issue, Clegg will explore and consider the future that could lay before us in the wake of the UK’s exit from the EU.

DU Gender Equality Society (DUGES) are also hosting their final book club of the year on Wednesday, discussing Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill during their weekly coffee hours. Join them in the Attic to discuss this contemporary Handmaid’s Tale at 11am. That evening will see Choral Society take on Brahms’s Requiem in the National Concert Hall at 8pm. They will also be performing a piece written for the choir, about the choir: Brian Boydell’s Under No Circumstances, narrated by David Norris. Tickets start from €15.

Thursday will see the Phil award Irvine Welsh with the Gold Medal of Honorary Patronage at 3pm. Welsh, a distinguished writer and playwright, has published eleven novels, including the cult favourite Trainspotting. He has proved himself to be a controversial writer, publishing many high-profile works, as well as most recently branching into film and screenwriting. This will most likely be a popular event, so arrive early to ensure a seat.