Five Staff Members Celebrated for Committed and Innovative Teaching

After an extensive judging process, five winners were celebrated for their commitments to students at the annual Provost’s Teaching Awards.

Sinéad BakerEditor
TCD Photo

Out of 41 nominees, five members of Trinity’s academic staff have been recognised for their commitments to teaching as part of the annual Provost’s Teaching Awards, with winners recognised for their ability to inspire students, challenge typical teaching methods and motivate other staff members.

The awards, now in their 17th year, were described by Provost Patrick Prendergast as “one of our most important annual award ceremonies”, with Prof Michael King of the School of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Prof Mairead Brady of the School of Business and Prof Susan O’Callaghan, Dr Marie Morris and Prof Anita O’Donovan, all of the School of Medicine, awarded in the Provost’s House yesterday after a “long process” of nomination and judging.

This process, which begins with nomination by students and peers, sees those nominated go before a review panel made up of representatives of the academic staff, the senior academic developer and both undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as an external reviewer, which this year was Dr Martyn Kingsbury from Imperial College London.

This process, Prendergast stated, is both “rigorous” and “multifaceted”, making the awards “serious commendations” for winners.

O’Callaghan, presented with an early career award, was recognised for her care of both students and patients, with one peer reviewer noting: “She frequently comes into the hospital during the weekend to identify interesting cases that she can share with students during bedside teaching in the subsequent week.”

King, also presented with an early career award, was celebrated for his innovative approach, including his use of individualised regular feedback and mixed assessment methods. King, Prendergast noted, is asked, on an annual basis, by the Head of Discipline of the Department of Economics to assist other staff members in developing their teaching portfolios, with one peer reviewer noting his “ability to inspire students to care”.

Brady, a pioneer in the area of online, game-based learning, was celebrated for her ability to deliver “excellent content” to students at all levels, from first year to postgraduate, and for ensuring student involvement and enjoyment in her classes.

Nominated by 16 different students, their testimonies for Morris, a clinical skills tutor in the School of Medicine, highlighted her position as “not just a teacher but a friend”, with one noting that “Tallaght Hospital is a better place because of her”.

O’Donovan, whose teaching was noted as innovative, research led and focused on the individual student, has motivated other staff members to “review our own teaching and assessment methodologies”, according to one peer reviewer. O’Donovan’s own teaching philosophy aims to bridge the gap between theory and practice to produce more effective learning.

These awards, Prendergast stated, help encourage Trinity’s staff to focus on teaching and its students to pay attention to their part in the teaching process.

“With these awards, the university affirms its commitment to teaching, and we avow our equal and indivisible mission in education and research”, he said.

Universities around the world, Prendergast said, are placing more of an emphasis on excellence in teaching. “Great teaching is not about telling things to students – it’s about providing the space to discover things with students.”

In addition, three shortlisted candidates received a certificate of commendation: Prof Mauro Ferreira of the School of Physics, Prof Celia Holland of the School of Natural Sciences and Prof Ronan Lyons of the School of Social Sciences and Philosophy.