New Academic Track for Internship Offers Junior Doctors Research Experience

Launched today by Mary Mitchell O'Connor, the programme represents an innovative approach to medical training.

Isla HoeJunior Editor

A new programme, launched today, will see junior doctors from across Ireland working on a diverse range of research projects while they undertake their standard clinical training.

A group of 24 junior doctors have started an innovative programme of medical training, the academic track for internship. The programme is a result of collaboration between Intern Network Executive, the Irish Medical Council and the HSE.

This new programme will allow junior doctors to work on critical research projects while undergoing their standard clinical training in hospitals across the country. The first year of the programme aims to tackle issues that affect people across the country, including ovarian cancer, HIV prevention and suicide and loneliness in rural men. This programme is designed both to provide the students with funding, mentorship and new training in research skills while also aiming to benefit the current healthcare system.

Prof Martina Hennessy, Associate Dean of Research in Trinity, said in a press statement: “Every year, Ireland loses some of its top-performing medical school graduates to academic programmes in the UK and further afield.” One of the goals of the project is to retain new academic talent in Ireland by providing the interns with new opportunities to boost their careers. The application process for this program is highly competitive.

“Successful candidates were chosen for their outstanding academic performance and commitment to clinical excellence, with many having already made valuable contributions to clinical research”, Hennessy added.

The 24 places on offer are available nationally and will be overseen by Intern Network Executive. This network represents six regions across Ireland, with numerous places available in universities across Dublin and in other parts of Ireland, including University College Cork and the University of Limerick.

One intern from Trinity, Daniel O’Reilly, is focusing his research on the prevention of death and disability in premature babies. This research examines the nanoparticles known as extracellular vesicles to see if they have contributed to the development of disabilities and death following blood clotting and hemorrhaging. Premature babies are so prone to these blood clots that they are routinely screened for them. O’Reilly will use blood samples from the Rotunda Hospital of both premature and and full term babies.

Tiarnán Byrne, another intern based at University College Dublin, will be focusing on a completely different style of research, using 3D printing. He hopes to improve medical simulation training by making the simulations more realistic. These simulations provide a training space for doctors and healthcare professionals to practice in high pressure environments and tend to focus on emergency situations.

Addressing these new interns today, Mary Mitchell-O’Connor, the Minister of State for Higher Education, noted that: “It is more important than ever that we provide world class research and training opportunities for our interns so that Ireland can remain one of the top innovation nations in the world. The new Academic Track promotes clinical research opportunities and will be a vital component in strengthening Ireland’s training programmes.”