Sun, Sea and Synth: Dimensions Knowledge Arena

Get your festival fix abroad this year and discover Croatia's coolest electronic music festival, with Grace Jones, Moderat and Nina Kravitz headlining.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor

Bringing some of the biggest names in electronic music to the idyllic beach-side at Fort Punta Christo, Pula, Croatia, Dimensions Festival is now in its sixth year. Exhibiting mostly electronic and jazz/world music, the likes of Marcel Dettman, Moodyman, Caribou and Floating Points have all, in past years, had their sounds resonate through Void AirMotion speakers along the shore of the Adriatic Sea. The 2017 edition of the festival will see headline acts Grace Jones, Moderat, Nina Kraviz, Jeff Mills and Yussef Kamaal grace the festival’s stage this September.

Thousands travel from across Europe and further afield, for five days of pure, hot ecstasy. While Dimensions Festival provides some of the best acts the electronic music scene has to offer, in more recent years this has not been the festival’s sole focus. Adding another layer to the festival, the Dimensions team now offers festival goers the opportunity to get their own hands on the decks while learning from some of the best.

Encouraging people not only to witness but to be a part of the magic, the Dimensions Festival recently launched their 2017 festival Knowledge Arena, which runs practical, interactive and free-play workshops, with some facilitated by the acts themselves. If the line-up wasn’t enough to get you on a plane, the chance to meet and work with some of your favourite artists certainly is. Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran there is something for everyone, with the workshops happening alongside panel discussions and keynote interviews, this year expecting the likes of Dam Funk and London Modular Alliance to share their secrets. Fun, dance and learning coming together in blissful harmony is what we can expect. What better way to stay out of the blazing sun than getting the chance to play the tunes you want to hear, all by yourself.

Dedicated to showcasing some of the best in the business, what makes Dimensions Festival really special is their determination to inspire, create and support upcoming artists. For those at Dimensions hoping to soon become the ones behind the decks, the educational experience available onsite with the ‘Knowledge Arena Pro’ scheme provides incredible opportunities for aspiring musicians to develop their own abilities, while at the same time create a personal network of like-minded individuals. This package and special pass provides access to all Knowledge Arena activities and one-on-one tuition as well as production software, networking meetings and VIP bar passes, allowing people to realise their dreams and open new doors.

Showing a deep understanding of what makes electronic-music lovers tick, Dimensions Festival, true to its name, moves in a direction many other electronic festivals don’t. Focusing on the future of music and the experience festivals can offer while keeping ticket costs low, Dimensions appear progressive and passionate in all that they do. Aiming to dig deeper and reach higher into the world and culture of music and production, the Dimensions Festival Knowledge Arena is shaping up to be an innovative celebration of music and all that electronic music encompasses and means to those whom hold it dear, all from just £25.

Tickets are still available on Dimension’s website: http://www.dimensionsfestival.com/