Al Sharpton, Empowerment and the Fall of Saigon: Your Week Ahead

As the first week of lectures begins, TCDSU and societies have many events planned to preserve the fun of Fresher’s Week.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

Freshers’ Week may be over, but the fun continues with Trinity’s societies. This week, the SU is holding “Empowerment Week”, and they have various interesting and inspiring events running each day, which are listed in full on their Facebook page. Here are just a few of the great events on the cards for the following week.

On Monday at 7pm in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) Chamber, the College Historical Society (the Hist) will present the Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse to civil rights campaigner, former White House Adviser and Reverend, Al Sharpton. Sharpton, who worked alongside former President of the USA Barack Obama, is renowned for his work in the civil rights movement and campaigns against violations of civil rights and police brutality against individuals in the black community of the United States. With growing racial tensions in the United States, Sharpton’s talk to the Hist is sure to be thought provoking.

As part of TCD Empowerment week, TCD Global Development society, The Nu Wardrobe and The Glass Wall are teaming up to bring you counter-culture night. The “Counter-Culture Night” event will take place in the GMB this Tuesday at 7.30pm. The night will start off with a discussion from Nu about sustainable fashion, and then a swap shop. The swap shop works simply by allowing them to bring along some clothing items that they love but just never get a chance to wear and swap them for other items that they will wear. The swap shop functions on a token-based system, so if you bring two items, you’ll receive two tokens and be able to swap the two tokens for two other items! If you’re unsure about what to bring, Nu have put together a handy guide to help.

In line with the University’s Empowerment Week, Trinity Law Society (Law Soc) is hosting a panel discussion called the “Women’s Empowerment Panel” on Wednesday at 4PM in the GMB. The event will examine what it’s like to be a woman in the business and media world in modern Ireland. The event will involve a discussion with a questions-and-answers portion afterwards where audience members will have the opportunity to ask the panelists about their struggles and how they overcame them. Law Soc is being very secretive about their list of panelists, but they have announced that actress, comedian and author Tara Flynn, will be speaking.

On Wednesday at 7pm, DU History will present their event “The Fall of Saigon” in Doyle’s Pub. There’ll be funky music from the 60s and 70s playing and decorations hanging to really emulate the era. A fun and quirky club night, the event is open to both new members and veterans to join in on the fun at ‘“The Fall of Saigon”.

The University Philosophical Society (The Phil) will begin its series of Thursday night debates this week with a topical and controversial motion, “This House Believes the Repeal Campaign should Reject Respectability”. This debate will be running as a part of empowerment week. Guest speakers on the night will include Ailbhe Smyth, Roisin Ingle and Cora Sherlock. The debate will be beginning at 7:30 in the GMB, and everyone is encouraged to attend what is sure to be an educational debate.

DU Alternative Music Society (DUAMS) will be holding an Open Mic Night in Chaplin’s Bar at 7.pm on Thursday. A guitar, keyboard and (obviously) a mic will be provided, and anyone is free to bring their own instruments, bop along and belt out a tune or two. The event is open to all with a love for music, and not just music students. Aoife O’Donohue, the chairperson of DUAMS, even says that there are no music students on the committee, they all just share a mutual love of music