Far from Inevitable, the Consent Success Came From a Concerted Student Effort

Allowing students to get involved in campaigns who aren't in the union will ensure success from future campaigns.

When conversation in Ireland and beyond erupted over the merit of consent workshops last year, you would have thought that there was a lot of work yet to be done in shifting attitudes around the subject. Comment sections were riddled with criticisms, calling out what was seen as a patronising attack on men. Indeed, the resistance to the workshops, even if small among students, posed a very real threat to the initiative, which, if not taken seriously would fail in their mission.

After an extensive review, Trinity’s consent workshops returned revamped. The “SmartConsent” branding was replaced with slicker and more engaging marketing, and emphasis was placed on hiring facilitators who were outgoing, friendly and engaging.

This year’s 90 per cent attendance rate in Halls, with queues out the door in some sessions and last-minute workshops having to be organised to manage the overflow, would have been proof enough of an overwhelming success. But what’s more impressive, if unexpected, is the conversation that has swept through Halls, inspiring some students to take the FRIES consent pamphlets out on nights out. This is no small feat in a country where there is a notorious silence when it comes to talking about sex.

Earlier this year, University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland’s other leading university, was forced to cancel their workshops due to poor turnout. This contrast in success can only be explained by a co-ordinated, well thought-out campaign effort in Trinity. Union campaigns here are not always so successful, but when they are, it is usually because of a small group who care very much about an issue come together and share an ambitious vision for what they can achieve. When problems reach a critical level, like when a survey revealed that one in four Trinity students had had a non-consensual sexual experience, ordinary students step up and become activists.

In the last few years, we have seen an inspiring show of campaigning both from within TCDSU and grassroots campaigns, with landmark achievements like the College’s divestment. If TCDSU continues to facilitate ordinary students who are uninterested in union politics but who are passionate about changing something, they will genuinely engage and lead campaigns that make important contributions to social change.